CHAPTER 14

"We can't hide here forever..." I tell Sawyer. Running from the hospital was the only choice we had. We're sitting in a dark alley way, the only thing I hear is Sawyers heavy breathing. I know he's in pain but he's not showing it.

"Don't you think I know that, Opal..." He spits. I glare at him and lean back against the wall. He breaths out and slowly starts to get up.

"Are you sure you're okay?" I ask, quickly getting up to assist him, but he doesn't let me.

"We need to borrow a phone..."

"You said that already. Your brother isn't answering. Are you sure you gave me the right number?" I question.

"You sure you marked in the right number?" He counters and I stop. Did I?

I rehearse the number back to him and he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Of course..." He says and he walks out of the alley way.

"If you were more patient and let me memorize the number instead of just telling me once then maybe we wouldn't be in this situation."

Sawyer ignores me and continues walking down the street.

"I knew I should have stayed home. I probably would be snug in bed right now, with no worries...." I say out loud, sighing.

"Doubt it..." Sawyer counters in.

"How would you know?" I snap.

"Whit, he's not as nice as you think. He's a smart bastard. He doesn't care about anything, all he knows how to do is destroy."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I cross my arms over my shoulder.

"Someone must have tipped him..." Sawyer mutters to himself.

"What's your plan now? Besides getting us killed." I ask, rolling my eyes although he can't see me.

"If you shut up for one second then maybe I will tell you..." Sawyer casually says.

"Oh good, I'm glad we're not wondering around aimlessly. I'm glad you have a plan."

Getting under his skin is my plan. He literally kidnapped me from my room and my stupid self followed him.

I stay quiet, the curiosity of the wanting to know what the plan is, is eating me up alive.

Sawyer turns around to make sure I'm still following him. We're in a rural neighborhood and I'm not sure what he has planned.

"Why can't we just knock on someone door and ask to use their phone?" I question. 

"Too risky." He tersely comments back.

"I'm willing to take the risk..." I tell him and start walking up to a random door.

"I don't think you understand..." He grabs my arm, slightly yanking me back.

"Asking for one phone call isn't the end of the world." I argue.

"We've been on the news. I don't want to risk being recognized. And even if we weren't they will find out we used someone's phone and trace it back to my brother."

"I still don't understand why we, no I need to run away." I pause and start walking back to the door, when I turn around, Sawyer is a mere inch away from my face. "And especially with you..." I glare at him again and start walking up to a random house.

"I can't do this, not with you." Sawyer barks, the venom in his voice makes me stop.

"That makes two of us.." I mutter, but I know he hears.