𝟔𝟔| Grins Of Malice

"But I can hardly sit still. I keep fidgeting, crossing one leg and then the other. I feel like I could throw off sparks, or break a window--maybe rearrange all the furniture."
— Raymond Carver

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

"So... do you train all the time, even on missions?" Shikamaru raised an eyebrow, his hands behind his head as he laid on the grass.

I glanced at him for a moment, before rolling my eyes. "Speak for yourself, you've been lazying around and watching the clouds."

"It's a hobby." He said defensively, though the smirk on his face told me that he didn't really care.

"Yes, and training is my hobby." I pointed out, unwrapping the bandages around my knuckles.

"That's a strange hobby to have."

"Not when you've been doing it for nearly six years. Besides, it's enjoyable... for me that is."

I faltered in realisation. The year was nearly ending which would mark the sixth year I've been in Konoha. Who would've thought I'd be in such a position in my life where I made it to Chunin and grew stronger? Thanks to Ichiro and sparring with Sasuke and the others, I felt like I've stretched myself and spiralled far beyond the progress I made over the years.

A small smile made it's way to my lips. Things were different now and after hiding from change; I've grown fond of expecting something new each day. It was better than living a constant, repetitive cycle of no progress.

"Six years huh..." Shikamaru hummed thoughtfully. "No wonder you were one of the few who were ahead of the class back in the Academy days. Nice to see you finally crawled out of your shell."

I huffed slightly, puffing my cheeks out. "There's nothing wrong with... shells."

"Sure," Shikamaru snorted. "but when you constantly use it as a barrier to hide yourself from people, it eventually becomes something you depend on rather than depending on yourself or others."

I blinked in surprise.

"So... I guess you're philosophical in the mornings. Nice to know you're not always a dumbass."

Shikamaru rolled his eyes. "Damn... I can't wait to go back home."

"Why? Is my company that unbearable."

"Yes."

"Ouch."

He hoisted himself up from the ground and dusted the grass of his trousers. "Are we going to make a pitstop at the nearest Village?"

"If you still want to, that is." I shrugged, gulping down my water greedily.

We were commissioned to deliver an important message to Suna which could only be transferred by hand to ensure it's confidentiality was kept safe. It was a usual thing for us to go back and forth between Villages ever since the treaty between the Leaf and the Sand had been reestablished. I guess something good did come out of Konoha Crush, but the casualties weighed too heavily to ignore.