𝟖𝟓| Descent

"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything."
— Chuck Palahniuk

───※ ·❆· ※───

THIRD PERSON

Beginnings frightened her.

As something began, it was doomed to end. Life itself was a waiting game of possibilities, a timer that would eventually run out. Humans did everything and anything to postpone the inevitable from occuring. Dawn once believed that death was a natural cause, an ending to human life. Most would say that every ending was a new beginning, but to live again was a means of losing who you were before you were reborn. Death changed people, it changed her, she hated death yet she once craved it more than anything.

How could she hate what she wanted most in the world, she once asked herself. Death wasn't what she hated, what it took from her was what made her feel bitter inside. A rotten core with a rotten heart. It made her feel lonely and resentful, it made her sought for a different path- one that would lead to her own self destruction.

Some religions believed in reincarnation. That when a human died their soul was reborn in a different vessel, an endless cycle of death and rebirth until the soul reached a state of enlightenment. Dawn found that it was a comforting thought of having multiple choices in different realities until one day, you finally reached your end. There was also a belief, or an actuality, that the soul and body ends with death entirely, there was no alternate reality, afterlife, purgatory or punishment. Just an ending. This was more commonly believed by non-religious people who inclined more towards practicality behind science rather than Chakra and sages.

Polytheistic ideals thought of death as a pathway, rather than an ending. That praying to a certain type of God would grant a human of the blessings they bestowed. And then there were the paths of fate.

Fate, an inescapable ordeal of fixed routes that were all interwoven and predetermined by an otherworldly force controlling the strings. That the reason why a certain event occurred was to introduce another set of events that affected or altered the fate of another being. A set in stone force that had no loopholes in order to preserve the balance of the world and if that scale were to be tampered with, a catastrophic eschaton would betide.

From birth till the end, life transpired in the eye of the beholder. Birth was also a climacteric that enkindled several coloured flames. Each flame was a path with an ending, it was said that humans had several paths that engender a domino effect whenever a certain, life-changing event supervened. That was the notion of free will, the belief that humans had control over their decisions and their fate through the paths they choose. Albeit, these paths were a metaphorical philosophy that described the crossroads and paths that intertwine fates together, yet set boundaries to individual endings.

However, there was a saying that 'fate was written in the stars', something that Sahiro believed in, which he then passed down to her.

The stars spoke so that the world knew not of ignorance, but of sacrifice. And with her newfound Fate Wheel powers, fate began to make a more prominent appearance in her life. Surely, it wasn't coincidental that she met Ichiro who was a survivor of the Aragakure massacre. That she met Keiji who passed these abilities unto her. That she encountered others with the same abilities in the Village where she was able to save others because of it. The same Village that she stumbled across in under dire circumstances.