𝟔𝟓| Bellicose

"I lean to you, numb as a fossil. Tell me I'm here."
— Sylvia Plath

───※ ·❆· ※───

SASUKE

It started off like a wild fire.

He had gasped awake as though his head was submerged beneath a tank of water, his lungs burning from the lack of oxygen. His insides boiled, as if the water that had entered his system whilst he was dreaming, was bubbling in the depths of his stomach and intertwining with its acids. Layers of sweat glazed his skin like a sheet of honey, but weirdly enough, his thoughts felt like a distant memory; foggy and hard to recall. A pretermitted event that led to his current predicament, one that he had desired to remember so desperately.

Oh, how he wished to forget.

It was difficult to describe how he felt, not that he was someone of many words- but for once, he yearned for someone to lend him their hand as he reached out for help; for a way out of this cage he was suddenly trapped in. But Sasuke knew that he had to keep the key in order to hide the cold truth.

The very truth that resulted to weeks waking up in cold sweat and tears, wallowing in self-loathe and wondering how it ever came to this. The truth that caused him to lock himself in his room and barricade any possible exits to protect others from himself. Distancing himself from the people he cared about in fear he'd do something that could result to their harm. As much as he was tearing himself apart by being alone, he'd rather be alone than ever endure through the pain of hurting the people he loved.

But then, he had to ruin his progress by being selfish. Despite his pain, yesterday was Naruto's birthday. Sasuke had only planned a quick visit with no interaction. Every part of him wanted to be there and spent time with his teammates, he wanted to engrave the ephemeral peace into his mind to soothe the flames, just for a moment of bliss, just to be able to breathe properly- that was all he wanted. Never did he expect to encounter her.

Her wide, blue eyes glistening with worry, eyes that he secretly adored but couldn't bare to face anymore- not after what he'd done. Her nose was red from the relenting coldness of October's nights and yet, she wasn't wearing a coat. If he wasn't so concerned with concealing his dishevelled appearance from her, he would've given her his jacket in a heartbeat to ensure her cheeks was rose with warmth again. It only ignited the yearn to be in her comfort again, to hear her voice telling him that everything was going to be alright- even if it was lie. Every lie she told he'd believe it, because she was the person who he had grown to care for. To the point he feared the things he'd do for her.

She'll look at you differently. The cruel whispers reminded him. She'll hate you after knowing what you did.

"No, stop it." His body slid against the wall. He covered his ears with his hands to block out the voice as he squeezed his eyes shut. "Go away."

Can't you feel it? The crave that won't go away unless you've satisfied it? The way your fingers twitch—

"Shut up, shut up, shut up-" Sasuke gritted his jaw. He could feel his teeth clash together- trembling from the pressure.

Imagine the horror in their eyes, in her eyes when she learns the truth—

"SHUT UP!"