𝟓𝟕| Pawn

"I'm a chess piece. A pawn,' she said. 'I can be sacrificed, but I cannot be captured. To be captured would be the end of the game."
— Paolo Bacigalupi

───※ ·❆· ※───

SHISUI

"Wait a minute." Itachi furrowed his eyebrows. His hand, that held a Dango, paused midway reaching his mouth. "That's a rather vague piece of evidence you're basing your assumption on. Are you sure you saw what you thought you saw correctly or are you jumping to conclusions like you always do?"

"Yes." Shisui nodded his head vigorously with a serious look on his face.

"That's a 'yes' to what exactly?" Itachi raised his eyebrow, finally taking a bite out of his Dango.

"It's a 'yes' to me being sure about what I saw." Shisui replied, backtracking Itachi's words as moments later he then exclaimed. "And I do not jump to conclusions! The conclusions I conclude are based on solid facts and I'm usually right, considering- Oh, I don't know- I see into the future!"

"You're visions are selective and sometimes very broad and hard to narrow down." Itachi replied bluntly, neatly dabbing the corner of his mouth with a napkin. "This is also the first time, after many years, you've found someone who you claim to be like you. Not to mention the said person is Dawn."

He was sure that it wasn't a horrible trick of the light, considering the night was young and the sun was erased from the evening sky, no candles were flickering- nor was it something his wild imagination had formed to disillusion him from reality because he was more than certain that what he saw was correct. Her eyes had changed the same lacquer white as his did whenever he had blanked, it was as if he could see through her eyes and read the variety of expressions that flickered across her face, the aftermath of a relapse often left him in a tired, drowsy state of confusion. Each vision he anticipated was like a waiting game, unable to determine whether he'd be fast enough to react or if it consisted of a long-term, predestined planning.

It was also the matter of a desperate yearn to discover more about this ability of his and even the thought of knowing that he wasn't alone, was enough to stir his hopes. Despite it being many years since he had first blanked, Shisui didn't ever think he'd get used to it, each feeling was indescribable and different from the last. In all honesty, if Itachi wasn't there to help guide him as well as organise the blunder of thoughts within his head, he'd be an entire mess.

"Remember the first time I blanked." Shisui said suddenly, Itachi raised an eyebrow in response, gesturing him to continue. "What I felt was a range of different emotions, but out of all those emotions I'd say the shock I felt overpowered them all. And you knew that straight away something was wrong and you listened to the words I said even if it didn't make any sense, and you helped me make sense of what was happening to me."

Itachi scrunched his nose slightly in deep thought. "Hypothetically speaking, if she were to be a Fate Wheel, what is it you plan on doing?"

"Exactly what you did to me." Shisui stated firmly, slamming his fist on the table in determination. "Help her. She's much younger than me, it'd be more of a shock to her than it ever was me."

Every single bit of him was persuaded to believe that he was right. It all added up, and in some way, made complete sense. Crucial information was unknown in her factual profile because she wasn't from this Village, nor was there a solid report of any possibilities of where she came from. That led Shisui to believe there was a chance the same abilities were passed down to her from someone outside of the Leaf, as it did him. He had also seen her momentarily blank and he was also suspecting that the second time he had encountered Dawn, she had fainted because he had caught her in the state of relapsing.