𝟕𝟕| Boundaries

"I wish you to know that you have been the last dream of my soul."
— Charles Dickens

───※ ·❆· ※───

THIRD PERSON

"So... tell me more about Dawn." Rin asked, playing around with her Dango stick as she sat across Kakashi and Kei while Obito seated right besides her.

The stone was a beautiful, amber shade, similar to staring at bright orange flames and catching a glimpse of the split-second interval that shone with a golden luminescence, or a sun that rose reverently, after days of enervating cold and grey showers, and touched the palm of the sky once again like two old friends reconnecting. She had never seen anything like it, anything so purely majestic, something that appeared beyond the world they lived in.

Normally, the shine would simmer down the moment her hand disconnected from the stone. However, ever since she reached the Leaf, it continued to ignite, brighter than it had ever did before, as if it was drawn to something like a moth to a flame. And Rin suspected she may have found the reason why.

"Why the sudden interest?" Kei looked up after devouring three Dango sticks, one that she stole from Kakashi.

Kei treasured the bond she had with her teammates, more so than others, considering not many Shinobi their generation lived long enough to see their family and friends especially post-war; also known as the 'years of the young', where young children were forced to inhabit the role of soldiers, were sent to the front-lines for dead— some of whom belonged to her class during her Academy days. Death was sensitised, and yet it was all that ever seemed to happen. But she would be lying if she said she felt as if things had never changed, because that was all she felt; change, inevitable change, change she felt wary of for many reasons.

She considered the brunette a good friend of hers, a sister who both once stared at death and became the embodiment of fear to turning into adults that took one glance at death before looking away. Rin helped her through dark times and vice versa, but something felt different about her. It always had, ever since she became the Jinchuriki of Isobu.

"You have that look in your eyes every time you look at her." Rin mused, her fingers twitching in faint remembrance of the spine-tingling sparks it felt. She looked up and smiled gently. "Not a bad look, it's like a parental love, over-protective love. You must really care about her if she managed to capture your heart."

"We do." Kakashi answered, watching Rin intently. "She's like a daughter to us."

The woman felt slightly uncomfortable by the look Kakashi was giving her, eyeing her like she was an enemy— well, not exactly an enemy, but more so a stranger. Rin felt like one. She pressed her lips into a thin line and ignored the ache in her chest.

I deserve it. She told herself. It's what I deserve for hiding so much things.

"Ah." Her eyebrows raised. "I see. She has parents, no?"

"Actually, no." Kei this time replied. "She's an orphan. In fact, when the time is right, we plan to adopt her."

"Adoption?" Obito's eyes widened, not in a bad away, more on the shocked-side. He then grinned. "I can totally picture that, despite not being biologically related to you guys she seems to act like the two of you combined when you were younger. I'm happy for you guys."