𝟑𝟖| Voices

"Soon you will see that there is no good or bad, only an interpretation of what is."
—Mateo Tabatabai

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

Written test?

I glanced over at Naruto whose hands were gripping his spiky hair in frustration as he stared at his test paper.

Well, we're fucked.

"Rule number one: each of you start with ten points. There are ten questions worth one point, you get one question wrong a point would be subtracted from your score."

A wary sigh escaped my lips, recalling Ibiki's words. The first exam, as stated, was a written test. Back in the Academy, I was one of the highest-achieving students alongside a few other intellectuals in my class as I strove to perfect every weakness I had. Luckily enough, my comprehensive and reading skills was a talent that I had inherited from my father.

"Rule number two: as this is a team event, failure will be determined by the total number of points from each members of one cell."

I hadn't any concerns revolving around Sakura and Sasuke's capability in being able to answer these questions well, but Naruto on the other hand was a whole different story. He wasn't exactly of the brightest minds, but his spirit made up for his lack of intelligence. Yet taking his tendencies in turning situations to his will in consideration, something told me that this wasn't going to end up as terrible as I initially thought it was.

"Rule number three: if a candidate is seen doing anything unusual, that leads a proctor to determine whether he or she is cheating or not... we'll subtract two points from each member of the team."

Now this was when the rules began to sound a little cryptic and unusual. It was unclear whether these rules were designed to throw someone off their balance or create internal frustration from the lack of options this portion of the exam served. We weren't allowed to question the way the exam was structured, therefor suggesting the lack of choice. I couldn't help but wonder why a rule was made about being caught cheating rather than the actual act itself. Was he insinuating that cheating was sanctioned so long you didn't get caught doing so?

"Oh, and one more thing. If any individual loses all ten of their points, their team, regardless of how the other members do, will be disqualified."

Another sigh threatened to escape my lips as I leaned back on my chair. I had been situated on a seat near the front where, if I were to cheat, would be incredibly difficult as there were many eyes fixated onto me from every direction. Jiro was allowed to participate in the exam as I had applied him as a Ninja hound, but considering he couldn't exactly answer the questions he was asked to wait outside the room until the first exam was over.

I stared at the test paper, trying not to let my over-thinking distract me from the matters at hand. Once I started to over-think, I then started to worry about others things unrelated to what I was currently doing.

'Line B is the greatest possible distance a shinobi can throw their shuriken from a tree of 7 metres. For enemies who appear within the circumference of the shuriken's range, explain their attack options. Show working.'

I hate math.

These questions were unceremonious and not exactly cut out for Genin. Even if I had attempted to cheat, there was a huge chance that I would be caught and sabotage the rest of my teammate's progress. Taking into account that the questions were visibly unanswerable, it had forced others to turn to cheating as the options were scarce. It was like they were trying to promote cheating-