𝟕𝟎| Atonement

"I accept chaos, I'm not sure whether it accepts me."
— Bob Dylan

───※ ·❆· ※───

SASORI

Rain.

It rained almost everyday, and despite that being a depressing thought to think about- Sasori felt soothed by the fresh and earthy scent permeating in the air, creating the illusion of fog.

It had been a few months since he took residence in Amegakure, the Akatsuki and his comrades in tow. He had never been to the Village itself, but he was pleasantly surprised at how at ease he felt, especially when he was born in a humid, hot climate; an incredible contrast to the rainy terrain he was currently in. The buildings were towering statues lurking over the people, similar to overhanging trees that branched out to protect the forest from intruders. He had only heard from rumours about how the structures were modernised and far more advanced than any other Village he'd seen, but now that Sasori had seen it for himself; he felt a strange sense of belonging to the place.

The feeling of belonging brought him into discomfort. Although he liked the idea of not having to sleep in a cold, compact tent overnight or on the soil grounds, he couldn't help but feel that the comfort wasn't suited to someone who only created discomfort in others.

As far as he knew, as a result of the outskirts of the Village being utilised as battlegrounds for wars that occurred in the past, many of the Rain's residence consisted of war veterans, asylum seekers and children who had no choice but to seek shelter in the lone city in order to stay alive. Despite the participation in war being vague memories that buried itself deep inside his head, he knew that war was like a deadly poison that ran through your veins and slowly began to char you away, piece by piece, until nothing was left. Sasori had felt no remorse when he killed, after all he fought for selfishness and an obligation towards his Village, he didn't care that his enemies were exactly the same.

So he wasn't surprised that the Village adopted a heavy isolationist policy, seemingly impenetrable borders and strict surveillance. Konan desired protection and a place where people were able to live safely, away from the constant fighting of the Shinobi world. Here, meant that somewhere in this world, there was a sanctuary. And it was his, and the Akatsuki's job, to preserve that peace as long as they could.

After all, there was a reason why Konan was known as the Hidden Rain's angel.

Sasori sighed, unable to pull his gaze from the large, glass window that overlooked the city. Hidan and Haku were soundly resting in their chambers after a reconnaissance mission they were issued, and him? He was unable to sleep, his stomach churning in anticipation for the mission he had tomorrow. The day where he'd finally make a move and pursue one of the stones that was located near Kusagakure, a Village painfully close to the outskirts of the Land of Fire.

Suddenly, he felt something light being draped over his shoulders. His hand immediately outstretched, ready to attack if needed, until he realised it wasn't an intruder; just Naomi. He stared at the blanket with an indifferent look in his eyes, before giving her a small smile.

"Thank you."

Naomi smiled back. "No problem." He scooted to the side, making space for her to sit down to which she accepted. "No rest?"

"No. I didn't feel tired."

"Lies." Naomi scoffed accusingly. "We got a long week ahead of us, if you're tired you won't be able to function properly and jeopardise the mission!"