𝟑𝟎| Dreams

"I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was. Likewise, I never imagined that home might be something I would miss."
— Ransom Riggs

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

I was tucked underneath the thick blankets, the coldness of a late December night prickling goosebumps onto my skin and made the warmth of my bed even more welcoming.

I was nowhere near tired. Mother would usually stay with me until I fell asleep but tonight she told me that she was busy, probably having a meeting with the elders. Whenever I asked her if I could tag along, she'd tell me that I'm only allowed when I'm older. But in my opinion, I'm old enough. If father thinks I'm old enough to go hiking with him in the woods, why couldn't mother let me go with her?

Groaning, I turn onto my back and stared at the ceiling with a pout on my face. Just she wait, when I'm like older brother I'd attend all the meetings and be able to learn the ancient teachings of Shizen. In fact, I'd be even better than them all. And strong as well, stronger than any other member of our Clan. They treat me like a kid and pretend that I don't understand the secret conversations they have about the risk of discovery. If I can somehow prove that I'm strong enough that they'd let me fight and protect our land, maybe after that they would take me to the summit.

A huff escaped my lips as I sat up and crossed my arms. "I can't sleep! Why can't I stay up late like everyone else? All the other kids say that their parents let them stay up late."

"That's because a princess always needs her beauty sleep." An amused voice spoke from the doorway.

Beauty sleep? I rolled my eyes, I don't need to sleep. Sleeping won't make me like older brother and father and mother and the warriors of our Clan who are all big and strong and have unlocked their Kekkei Genkai. Brother said that one day I'd be able to have the same eyes as him, but in order for that day to come I shouldn't anticipate it's arrival. Whatever that meant. I'm pretty sure he said that to sound cool or something.

The door opened more as the light from the corridor began to envelop the room. I whined covering my eyes. "Close the door! It's too bright!"

Sahiro raised his eyebrow. "Oh? So should I leave? I guess I won't keep you company then..."

My eyes widened. "No! Please don't go, I can't sleep."

"That's why I'm here." He grinned. "I saw mother leave and I knew you were going to be alone so I thought I'd pay my favourite person in the world a visit."

"You're the best!" I cheered, my smile widening. "Don't tell mother, but I always preferred your company. But please don't tell her, I don't want her to get upset."

"My lips are sealed." He zipped his lips and threw away the key, causing me to giggle.

Entering the room, he closed the door behind him and made his way towards the bed. I moved to the edge, making space for him as he laid down besides me. Whenever mother wasn't here to put me to sleep, Sahiro had always been there and made sure I wasn't alone. Because, even if I was never going to admit it, I had always been afraid of the dark. Or more specifically, what was in the dark. I've been seeing shadows and strange figures, but I didn't dare to speak a word of it. Father had always taught me to face my fears, so in order to do that I can't show that I'm scared. I have to be a big girl.

Recently, I've been hearing voices as well. Mother found it strange that I would follow her around everywhere she went. But the truth was, I was afraid of being alone with the shadows that whispered evil things into my ears. And they mostly appeared when I was by myself.