𝟔𝟖| Friends

"All of your friends have been here for too long
They must be waiting for you to move on."
— Friends, Chase Atlantic

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWN'S POV

My eyes fluttered open to the darkness.

This darkness was different, it was unlike an infinite void of seemingly nothing- it was more of a prison, and the chains that bound my wrists together proved my point. I could hear the rattle of the cuffs clanging against the rustic metal of the chair I sat on and— for a moment, a fear of being back in the dark room began to spike and prickle my skin with goosebumps, but like I said, this was different. The air felt different, it felt cold, colder than it had ever been before and real, as if the room were the hanging jaws of death itself ready to consume me with ravenous flames. The cold was just the adherent, flames were the aftermath.

I would be lying if I said I didn't consider the thought of what awaited me after death. Would I be able to see my family again? Was there even an afterlife or would my entire being crumble away until all remnants of who I was disappears completely from the world? Sahiro had told me that for the good people, despite the boundless flaws humans had, there was a sanctuary for them, a paradise of endless peace and happiness. I could have everything that I desired, see the people who have left me and finally be able to exist without the constant pain of my memories.

It was why I humoured the thought of death being my only way out of this world, but it was the selfish way out. Keiji had died on my behalf and Jiro exerted everything he had to keep me alive. The only worth I served to the world was being a constant reminder of my regrets and my grief and yet, I was still here. Here because of the people who made me see another way out of the loneliness and the darkness, people who had shown me love.

I jumped when I saw a small candle light flicker in the corner. A chain of lanterns began to turn on one after the other along the walls. It was bright enough for me to see how large the room was, but not enough for me to see what was in front of me.

"A split-image of the demon herself. The slayer of the innocent and the damnation of this Village."

My body froze at the sound of the voice, it appeared raspy and deep, intertwined with rancour. Five more lanterns ignited, except the colour of the flames were purple and surrounded me in a circle. It unnerved me, but I was more frightened by the cloaked figures seated on their stone-carved thrones. There were seven of them in total, neither I could identify. I trembled with fear, who wouldn't? I was alone and surrounded by strangers, I didn't know who they were and still they all stared at me with resentment.

"Who are you?" I asked, my voice wavering with fright and confusion.

"Should we dispose of her now?" Another continued to speak, ignoring my question.

"No, it's too early." A younger voice spoke, but undoubtedly much older than me. "They'll know something is wrong."

"Who cares?" The man bellowed in annoyance. "The quicker we eliminate the problem, the safer we are. We can't risk her being alive for any long, it'll ruin everything."

I was frozen, my wrists ached from the cuffs that pierced through my skin and created bleeding ringlets. They were talking about me, but why? What did I do them? Why was I chained up? Who were they? Releasing a ragged breath, I closed my eyes, trying to gather chakra but no avail. My powers were dormant, meaning I couldn't escape even if I wanted to. It also meant I was dreaming- it had to be.