𝟏𝟎𝟐| "The deception of trust"

CHAPTER 102 — THE DECEPTION OF TRUST
══════════════════

Silence was an endearing friend.

Her first and only friend. Sora could remember the time where all she heard was silence as she played alone in the plains of the summit. During that period, kids didn't ridicule her and parents didn't sneer at her in disgust, she just desired quietude as it brought a peace unlike any other. After a series of miscellaneous events, that silence ended, and replaced by a sound that never really went away.

The sway of gentle waves soon crashed vehemently against the rocks at the bottom of the cliff. The soft sounds of the wind resembled angered cries that throttled the earth and shook it from its core. The majestic fluorescents that once danced in her vision were now harsh lightning bolts that scorched and sizzled its foes. Nature was angry, because an abomination roamed in its midst. Her existence was an unnatural force that created disorder and imbalance to the laws that stabilised the world.

She still remembered the four walls and the water dripping from the ceiling and the purple flames from the torches that were lined in rows and rows and rows and now— here she was, within the same four walls. Everywhere she went, humanity desired to imprison what they couldn't comprehend and deemed a threat.

The biggest threat was not her existence but their ignorance.

However it may be, she was a monster amidst monsters. No human on this earth had hands unalloyed by the curse of blood and death, death constituted laws and guaranteed survival, an innate force that emboldened survival instincts. It just so happened that she knew how the mind worked and scaled through the masses until death was a power she bestowed. Rather than pretending to hate what she was made to do, Sora thrived in it and accepted the being she was.

But Dawn, Dawn desired something else. Her goals drastically differing from her own that it caused her to fight in a constant battle against what she wanted and what she needed.

"Is this what you wanted, Sora?" Keiji said gravely, staring at her with those hollow eyes of his.

Sora lifted her head up, hating how her stomach squeezed as if something was physically clenching her insides. This wasn't Dawn's emotions, this was her own. Keiji was apart of her life, Sahiro was her brother and Kei was the woman who gave her a second chance.

Dawn was merely an echo of who she truly was.

"Is this who I sacrificed my life for?" He persisted, she kept her gaze on the ground, the heart rate monitor sounding in the background- a continuous beeping noise. "The Owl killed me, she tore my throat out and scattered my remains. I left my own son for you, I spent two years in confinement for you, I put my faith in you and you turn into this, monstrous being-"

"You're wrong." She muttered. "I was already one when you found me. It's nothing new."

"I tried so hard to protect you." Sahiro intervened, the beeping spiked irregularly at the sound of his voice- the curse was despicable, reopening past wounds and memories that began to distort. It was as if he was really here, except he wasn't. "I was ostracised by my own clan and family protecting you, they thought I was insane for defending a monster who killed five, innocent children. I sacrificed so much only to end up as a burnt, rotten corpse beneath the soil. You let them kill Sano, he was only a few months old."

"Kazumi is motherless." Kei whispered spitefully, her eyes filled with pure malice. Her breathing quickened. "You did this to me. You did this to all of us. Everyone's going to end up dead because of you and everything you tried to do will all be for nothing. What's the point of sacrifice if you can't save anyone?"