54| Waterfall

"The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for."
— Bob Marley

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

After Sasuke's dramatic exit, there was no way I was willing to stay in Fugaku's presence any longer. That, and I was pretty sure I've overstayed my welcome, not that I cared. All that mattered to me was whether Sasuke was alright or not. Which, again, was also unwise of me to consider as he clearly wasn't going to be okay.

What also mattered to me was how I was going to deal with something like this. As much as I empathised, throughout the years my lack of human interaction meant that everything was new to me, comforting others and knowing how to act normal without making a fool of myself was also new to me, being a good friend was new to me either but based on what I've analysed; friendship wasn't something that had to be constructed upon a built-in manual script, but rather what your instincts told you that felt right. And what felt right at this moment was finding Sasuke.

But there was something else I felt that needed to be said and by doing so I'd be treading in high currents, unaware of whether or not these boundaries I'd assembled would ideally be in favour of what I was about to do. Right now, fuck boundaries. Don't overthink for once in my life, just do and think about the consequences later.

"I'm going to check up on Sasuke." I announced quietly, sliding my chair back and ignoring the guilt I felt for not finishing the food that Aunt Miko had so kindly prepared for me.

"I think you've overstayed your welcome." Fugaku narrowed his eyes, his eyes challenging me to disobey him.

If he wanted to play that game, then so be it. He may have jurisdiction of his Clan, but legally he wasn't allowed to lay a finger on me. And what good would it do to his reputation if a grown man, the head of a powerful Clan, picked a fight on a little girl like me just because I spewed a few hurtful words?

"I don't really care what you think." I retorted, ashamed that I felt satisfaction upon seeing the outraged look on his face. The red alarms flared in my head, ordering me to retreat. "And you probably don't care what I think either, but I'm going to say this anyway. Trying to reinforce your status through pitiful attempts of igniting fear in others would only grant you more enemies, rather than the respect you think you deserve. Being a less of a dick would do you some good."

It's official, you've gone crazy. But Jiro would be proud of me.

"I'm truly sorry Aunt Miko for all the disturbances I've caused." I turned my attention to Aunt Miko, bowing my head apologetically. "And I understand if you don't want to see my face around here. Again, I'm sorry and I'll leave now."

With that, I fled, feeling awfully smug as I followed the chakra signature of the missing Uchiha who- surprisingly enough- had made his way to the training grounds outside my hut. Speaking to a higher up could land me in serious trouble, especially considering I was registered as a legal citizen of the Leaf and was ranked a Genin, the Leaf prioritised subordination and loyalty but my loyalties had always been all over the place. I was loyal to those who had earned my respect as that seemed like the most reasonable way to deal with things.

Something else was also bothering me, but when something bothered me it usually went hand-in-hand with me overthinking and over-analysing situations. I couldn't help but get the same feeling around Fugaku as I had around Yin, it wasn't noticeable at first and perhaps I'd assumed that it was something that was normal. That was until I'd managed to distinguish the difference between normal chakra and an abnormal blockage of some sorts.