𝟒𝟖| Determination

"When is a monster not a monster? Oh, when you love it."
— Caitlyn Siehl

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

"Oh, poor Tenten." Sakura winced, her fingers covering her face as she peaked through one of the gaps.

Temari and Tenten were both weapon users, Tenten used a technique known as Bukijutsu which enabled her to summon weapons from scrolls and control them to her liking. Temari, on the other hand, was a wind style user and used her fan to deflect every attack Tenten had sent her way. I had seen the outcome of the battle almost before it began and I knew that Tenten was already at a disadvantage. Temari was older and more advanced, not to mention weaponry was no match against the current. Tenten had lost the match, unconscious, bruised and at the will of Temari who, although looked apologetic, had rightfully won the match. 

I had humoured the thought that if I were to be against Temari in the third exam, the match would be played out easily as I'd recently found out that I was able to control the wind. Nevertheless, I was growing bored and a little exhausted from standing up, Naruto and Sakura's match had yet to come and I was anticipating the announcement of the next round. A part of me was apprehensive that I was going to fight against Yin, not only has she been eyeing me like a hawk there was something about her that wasn't... right.

"It might seem a bit harsh but that was a fair fight. Tenten was already at a disadvantage as Temari's wind could waver the streamline of the weapons." I clarified. "Not to mention Tenten had continuously used the same tactic, it's why having more than one ability as a trump card would come to your advantage at times like this."

Kakashi looked down at me in interest. "You know, I've noticed that you're able to read a battle well and depict a person's strength and weaknesses easily."

"It's a good skill to have." I shrugged nonchalantly. "And also a way of being able to learn, I'm both a visual and physical learner."

"Next is... Shikamaru Nara and Kin Tsuchi."

This match piqued my interest, from the battle in the Forest of Death I knew Kin played dirty- though, amidst a fight it didn't really matter how you win, as long as you persevere- whereas Shikamaru on the other hand was lazy to say the least. From our Academy days I knew he was a discrete genius at heart who often kept his intelligence under-wraps, but it didn't prevent him from being an incredibly observant tactician.

"Man this is such a drag." Shikamaru groaned, massaging his temples in irritation.

Kin narrowed her eyes. "I'll be sure to end this quickly."

When the match begun, Kin didn't hesitant to send two senbon needles with bells attached to the tips towards Shikamaru who quickly dodged the attack, the bells signifying it's gateway towards him. Taking into consideration that Kin was a Sound Ninja, it made me ponder whether the bells served another purpose other than being a decoy. I was proven correct when she had thrown another two senbon, one without a bell, towards Shikamaru who caught onto her tactic and avoided the attack. However, a few seconds later the bells rang again and he was frozen on the spot.

Smart. I mused to myself. She's using strings to control the movements of the bells which must be effecting Shikamaru somehow.

The battle took a turn in the moment of time, before Kin could land her final blow, Shikamaru had managed to use the thin shadows of the string to capture Kin in his shadow technique therefor making her mirror his actions. It ended when he made her grab a shuriken out of her satchel and dodged backwards, unfortunately for Kin she had slammed her head into the wall behind her and knocked herself out cold. I wasn't surprised, but I did find it amusing. Shikamaru appeared to be someone who didn't like getting his hands dirty and resorted to using his surroundings as his trump card.