𝟕𝟏| Fight

"It's better to be hurt than to hurt others. Nice people can be happy with just that."
— Kaneki Ken

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWN'S POV

Tick.

Fate was a fickle thing. It was similar to how a human was constructed, with hands and legs, a heart and mind, rationality and aberration. But like humans, fate was imperfect. It lacked consistency and always changed when they felt like something was right. Keiji always had told me that fate never had a definite meaning, that what I interpret fate to be was what mattered the most.

Tick.

To me, fate didn't just consist of one set in stone paths, fate had multiple paths and it relied on the present to be able to choose which path to walk down. Yet, when a path is chosen, it was the only path you could take, there was no returning to the time where choices were displayed in front of you and you had the will to choose how to live you life. It was deterministic and difficult to disconnect from. Others would associate the principle as a predestined entity controlled by an omniscient being known as God, that the person who created us was the same person who knew how our lives would be lived out, but so long we turn to them— everything would tilt to our favour within time and patience.

Tick.

Keiji, however, believed otherwise. He believed that fate was written in the stars, that through astrological means we'd be able to see stories of the past and apply them to our own lives. That when the stars correlate and present a certain set pattern, it also has the ability to grant us insight on our future. He told me stories, and coincidentally it was always one story that caught my eye, the same story that Sahiro had told me in my dream- one that lurked as a floating memoir of my past and arose when deja vu decided to run its course.

The story of the Chained Maiden.

Tick.

Asami was a simple girl who lived in a small town. The idolatry of the people meant that they religiously worshipped and prayed in the temples, turning to their deity either in desperation or the want for something more than what they were granted. Upon the mistake her parents made, she had to pay the price. Asami was used as a sacrificial pawn to subdue the beast ravaging the town and its people, however a man named Hiro had lived up to his name and saved her from her terrible fate, even befriending the beast in the process as they lived their happily ever after.

Tick.

In actuality, that was far from how the story truly ended. The story was distorted and rewritten as a means of propaganda within my Village, to promote the idea that fate worked in mysterious ways— yet, the outcome was far from negative. It was one of the reasons why Sahiro was scolded a lot by mother, because he was the only one who went over the moon and back just to tell me the truth.

Tick.

Asami had been eaten and suffered the most painful death by the merciless beast, who feasted on her flesh and blood. That even after everything they had done to her, the monks, her parents, her people— she still worried about their wellbeing till her very last breath.

Tick.

I opened my eyes, feeling small feet perch on my knuckles as I stared at the dove. It's dark black eyes stared into my own before nudging my skin with it's beak.