𝟏𝟎𝟓| "Devil's advocate"

CHAPTER 105 — DEVILS ADVOCATE
══════════════════

When I opened my eyes, the world was red.

A cynical red, as if the sky was an ocean of blood and I was staring endlessly, captivated by its hypnotic pull until I realised it resembled nothing like the catastrophic storms that awaited me.

My hands and legs were bound to a cross and everything else painted in my vision was black and white. I wasn't alarmed by the slightest, but I knew my strength was limited and prolonging my stay in Shisui's Tsukuyomi would only do more harm than good. It occurred to me that he would be the first line of defence, they needed time, even if it was for a few seconds to think of way to deter me from my goals despite not knowing what exactly I wanted to achieve. I killed Kabuto, ruthlessly in cold-blood, he didn't even have time to think before his life slipped away from his fingers. It wasn't anything honourable or gratifying, just a quick occurrence. Something to easily brush away.

Only that it wasn't. It only added to the long list that it didn't phase me to stab my katana into his chest and pull it out with ease. Ease, that was what it was, I eased through it and Shisui was going to give me a taste of what he went through— perhaps he'd even try to keep me in this fabricated world, but one thing he didn't take into account was that I was a prisoner to myself, not to others.

"You killed him." Shisui spoke, his voice resonating among his clones that were staring at me viciously. No sign of that kindness or empathy he had a couple of minutes ago. I guessed I had a tendency to get on the Uchiha's bad side. "You killed him!"

I was only able to look at him with an empty stare. "Collateral damage. You shouldn't have gotten in my way, he could've lived if you had given me what I wanted but even then- that was too difficult for you all, wasn't it?"

"How dare you call him collateral damage?!" His real self pushed through the crowd, face filled with rage and animosity. "He- He only tried to help! He even defended you when everyone else was against you, he believed that there was a reason why you could be behaving differently and this, this is how you repay him?"

"What?" I scoffed. "Am I meant to feel guilty or something? I don't owe him anything."

Shisui looked at me coldly, before he chuckled. Except it was the kind that made me tense as a katana appeared in his hand, one that resembled my own. I felt the cold metal press against my chest, the tip digging into my skin and spilling blood.

"Thousand." He seethed through his clenched teeth, pressing the katana deeper into my chest. A pained grunt escaped my mouth. "One thousand tenfold I will make you feel what he felt, every fucking inch of it. I will make your life a living hell until you're reduced to nothing!"

Tempting.

It was tempting to take his offer, it was better than everything else that was in store for me. I didn't think he realised that by potentially trapping me in this fake illusion of his granted me a pass into the depths of his mind. He willingly created a ripple in his memories for me to take advantage of— to abuse and destroy and create whatever I will out of the person he was. Once you allowed your soul to be seen by another person, it would forever be tainted by their sight. If only he had thought this through, they really did underestimate my abilities even when weakened.

Shisui was smart, but he was also grieving, devastated by the sudden loss of his friend right before his eyes. I understood his grief and yet I couldn't find it in me to show him mercy for what I was about to do next. After all, they intervened with my plans.