𝟓𝟑| Reality

"Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.
- Narcotics Anonymous

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

The Uchiha compound was much more different than I had expected, though some elements sent me an odd sense of nostalgia as I stared at the crest on the tapestries.

My clan were honourable and often categorised as heroes by the locals. The insignia itself was a reminder of the protectors the people of Aragakure had honing their power and doing everything they could to ensure that their home was safe from outsiders. I had understood that the Leaf prioritised the power certain individuals withheld and not the devout set of deeds and acts of self-sacrifice that remained hidden to ensure that the Village had powerful figureheads— it had also acted as a sign to ward away competition, the more glamorous and powerful it seemed, the less people that would dare to challenge an impregnable foe.

But somewhere, along the hour I had arrived at the compound, my opinion faltered. It wasn't right to categorise a certain group of people as 'bad' based misconceptions or an impression of a singular person. Aunt Miko was a lively and loveable woman, as well as Shisui, Itachi and even Sasuke. There was no good or bad, just two sides who believe that the cause of their actions are for the betterment of others or themselves.

But there was evil. A voice reminded.

"Are you good there, sweetheart?" Aunt Miko placed her hand tenderly on my head.

I blinked rapidly, peering up at her in assurance. "I'm fine, I'm sorry I just zoned out."

"It's okay." She smiled sweetly, before cautiously glancing at the doorway. "Itachi tends to do the same thing as well, you both have that same look in your eyes. The... matured look. Looking at you just reminds me of him, try not to stress yourself too much over the exam, okay?"

Some may not catch onto it, but like her sons, Aunt Miko was incredibly perceptive and noticed things most wouldn't dare to spare a thought. It caught me off guard a little, before I realised that she wasn't accustomed to the fact that I zone out a lot and linger in my own world where I overthink everything and anything.

"I'll try not to." I said politely.

I hid my smile realising that, in other ways Sasuke and Aunt Miko were polar opposites. Aunt Miko showered me with affection and tenderness, but she wasn't afraid to voice her opinion. Sasuke on the other hand wasn't an affectionate person, but I've noticed a subtle change.

"Good." Aunt Miko nodded her head in satisfaction. "I'll see what's holding Sasu up for so long, feel free to continue looking through the pictures— oh, the embarrassing ones are at the back, thank me later." She winked, walking out of the living room with a mischievous grin on her face.

Staring at the blue (how surprising) album on my lap, I decided to flick right to the beginning- admiring the look of pure innocence he had. The photos consisted of the moments he was born, to the times he was crying, smiling, angry, throwing a tantrum, cooking— with tomato guts covering his chubby cheeks. It was later, the changes were noticeable, he had lost his baby-face and was seen tagging along with Itachi and Shisui a lot, they all seemed tight-knit and unbreakable. So it was surprising, when I flicked to the next page and stared at the family photo.

It all seemed... strictly platonic Aunt Miko was smiling- but judging from the smiles I had seen on her face, this one seemed forced. Even Itachi's smile appeared tired and strained, but Sasuke was an entirely different story. There was no smile or any sign of the happy boy he was before, instead was a blank face staring dead-straight at the camera and his body stiff and straight. Sasuke's father, stood at the back with one of his hands clasped behind his back whilst the other was tightly gripping Sasuke's shoulder. I squinted before noticing the discolouration on his skin as well as the cut on his forehead— which was clear he had tried to conceal with his bangs.