𝟒| Introductions

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do."
– Mark Twain

───※ ·❆· ※───

KAKASHI

"So what happened to Kei?"

Kakashi didn't bother to glance at his best friend as he was too invested in his book: Icha Icha paradise. It was nearing one of the best scenes he personally adored in the book, where Ishika realised her husband was cheating on her with her best-friend so she decided to intimately seduce his best-friend. Jaraiya did exceptionally well in writing the scene with immense detail that he felt as though he had been the one to be cheated on.

"Why do you think something happened to Kei?" Kakashi droned, flicking to the next page.

A blush immediately flushed to his cheeks, his lips smirking in anticipation. This next scene was impressively steamy and Kakashi only wondered what poor souls Jaraiya had researched on in order to write it this good. However, his friend was literally standing in front of him that if he were to peer over he could read exactly was written in the book, so he decided to save it for later and shove the tiny, orange book into his back pocket.

Obito shrugged. "Well considering you're in a bit of a dull mood, that means Kei is in a dull mood because whenever she's happy- you're happy and whenever she's sad- you're sad. That, and a moment ago I saw her sulking at the Dango shop with Hana."

The Jounin with silver, gravity-defying hair pressed his lips into a firm line recalling what Kei had told him last night. Yes, she happened to be upset because a girl who Kei had taken a liking to denied her request to eat dinner with her. He found it draining seeing her occasionally disheartened after being turned down many, many times by this girl known to be Fawn? Or was it Dawn? He couldn't quite remember. All he knew was that she was blonde, had a blood-thirsty wolf with an eyepatch scaring people who even looked at her funny away and had the tendency on rudely declining free lunch. Which he found quite strange because who denies a free meal?

Besides the point, Obito was right. It physically clenched his heart and tore him apart when he saw Kei frowning when he had only been accustomed to seeing such a beautiful smile on her face. A few times he considered approaching the kid in order to try persuade her into giving his woman what she wanted because as much as he loved her, he knew that her stubborn nature was the sole reason as to why she hadn't given up yet. That, and her heart was too big to give up. She'd somewhat made herself believe that Dawn needed someone and she persistently insisted on being that someone. Kakashi didn't complain, because he was as much emotional as she was- but he did better in hiding it.

The only time he remembered being an emotional blunder was during his childhood. As a kid his family consisted of a bunch of annoying kids who constantly pestered him till his walls he'd put up, when his father had died, tumbled to the ground and he was too lazy to rebuild them. Especially when he realised that he was happier this way. His Sensei made him happy, Rin made him happy, Obito made him happy and he was the happiest when he fell in love with Kei; a sparky, optimistic purple ball that energetically took on missions like it was a steep mountain smothered in snow that she had to climb to the top by sunset. Her perseverance and ability to not give up- whilst maintaining her kindness- was what Kakashi loved the most about her. Even if sometimes she failed to see that admirable quality about her.

Despite that, there were a few times where he was close to losing it all. Like when Obito had given him his Sharingan eye after being half-crushed by a boulder. That day it felt like he had lost everything all over again- an overwhelming sadness prevented him from thinking or feeling properly until the news reached his ears that his best friend miraculously survived by being saved by an anonymous hero who pulled him out just before the boulders could obliterate him. Now he was safe and sound and alive, not to mention as annoying as ever. There was also another close-call with Rin, whom he had nearly killed with his Chidori after the three-tails was sealed within her in order to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village. It wasn't a coincidence that Obito was saved and Rin was pulled away in the nick of time, with the three-tails firmly secure within her officially deeming her as the Jinchuriki of Isobu.