𝟒𝟑| Silence

"Silence. How long it lasted, I couldn't tell. It might have been five seconds, it might have been a minute. Time wasn't fixed. It wavered, stretched, shrank. Or was it me that wavered, stretched, and shrank in the silence? I was warped in the folds of time, like a reflection in a fun house mirror."
— Haruki Murakami

───※ ·❆· ※───

SASUKE

"Older brother!"

Sasuke's eyes brightened at the sight of his older brother. It had been long since he had last seen him, almost a month passed by and Sasuke had counted every second of it, knowing that when Itachi was back he'd train him like he had promised. Ever since Itachi was appointed Anbu Captain, his schedule became very tight and his visits were scarce. It also wasn't much of a surprise when he came back from missions tired and exhausted, but what was a surprise was the fact that he looked more tired than usual. Sick even. As though the missions were taking a physical toll on his health.

Itachi smiled, kneeling to Sasuke's height as he ruffled his hair. The younger Uchiha's smile wavered, noticing the accentuated, dark circles beneath his eyes.

"Sasuke! There's my favourite person in the world."

He grinned goofily, his cheeks donning a bright blush as he tackled his brother into a hug. "I missed you! You were gone for so long!"

Itachi released a chuckle, wrapping his arms around him as he hoisted Sasuke on his hip and stood upright.

"I'm sorry Sasuke, I've been very busy lately. I hope you can forgive me."

Sasuke blinked, before a wide smile made it's way to his face. "It's okay, I know you are tired so you can rest all you want. Then you can train me tomorrow!"

He watched as his older brother's smile disappeared, his eyes creasing in sadness. "I don't think I could train you tomorrow, Sasuke. I have an appointment and then I have to resume with my duties."

"B-But..." Sasuke frowned, his prior excitement vanishing in an instant.

Excuses. That was another thing he noticed. Sasuke hadn't a clue what these appointments were for, his mind was unable to decipher why his older brother didn't want to spend time with him anymore. Was Sasuke annoying? Did he no longer want to hang out with him because he's wasting time? The more he refused, the more the younger Uchiha felt his heart hurt. His mother taught him that when someone's heart hurt, it meant that they were sad. And when someone was sad, they release tears from their eyes. Though, the other kids in his Clan teased him for being a cry baby, so if he cried in front of his brother he was sure to tease him as well.

"Oh, it's... fine." Sasuke pressed his lips together, wiggling himself out of Itachi's hold. "I'll... just ask older brother Shisui to train me. You don't have to."

He swallowed deeply, looking away. He felt sad, incredibly sad. Not only was Itachi being distant, his father was acting strangely as well. He was stricter, meaner and raised his voice often. Sasuke no longer felt happiness within his home, but rather a heavy weight on his chest that wouldn't go away. The weight only became lighter whenever his mother was there to make his favourite dish; tomato Onigiri and told him interesting stories. But it didn't prevent the fact that he felt so... lonely.