𝟔𝟎| Sinister

"I have been skating on the dark side of the moon.
The stars glance down at me like cold, gleaming panther eyes.
Even though there is no oxygen I can still breathe."
— Vytautas Pliura

───※ ·❆· ※───

Chapter Sixty: Sinister

DAWN

He was late.

Initially, she knew that this was definitely not an opportunity he wanted to miss. Sasuke took his fights seriously, whether it'd be a crucial turning point or harsh criticism that he would use to improve himself. But as the matches progressed and nerves had began to spiral out of control, she was beginning to think that something important had appeared and was acting as an obstacle that prevented him from arriving on time.

The sight of the crowds were overwhelming, it's scale much larger than the prelims. There were more eyes watching her; eyes belonging to civilians, nobles, Clans, Jounin, her teammates- everyone. It was entirely different from the preliminaries. She had grown stronger and regained some control over her new abilities, but people made her nervous and the very thought of standing in the centre of all attention and being supervised for her performance was something she didn't consider until the very moment she watched all the matches take place.

Naruto's match had been the first. It was amazing to watch how far he had progressed under the teachings of the Sannin, or in Naruto's words, 'Pervy Sage'. The match initially had it's cards against him as Neji pummelled him with his Clan techniques and fighting style, he had even managed to block his chakra points rendering it useless, and somehow Naruto had managed to grasp onto a portion of the Nine Tail's chakra and prove everyone wrong, including Neji, even changing his destiny-embedded mindset to someone who would grow to be a good friend of his. A quirk of his Naruto charm.

She could tell everyone was surprised when he had successfully turned the match to his favour, just like he had done with his match against Kiba: moulding it to his command with his sheer will, hard-work and determination. Nonetheless, she felt proud of his growth, and was happy for him knowing that he had made his family proud in the long run as they cheered at his victory.

It left a bittersweet taste in her mouth, if her family was still alive, would they still be proud of her?

How could they be proud of a monster?

Dawn gripped onto the railing tightly. Sweat built up on her brow and her widened eyes adverted to the ground below her. She could feel it. The dark presence slowly steer into her mind. Unlike last time, it didn't try to take control of her body. It just lingered.

I mean, just look at you. Scared. Your fingers trembling despite the grip you have on the railing. She held her wrist against her chest, trying to diminish the shaking. Dawn couldn't help it, she couldn't help but feel scared. After all, it turned her into a completely different person, into a-

Monster? Oh please, you didn't turn, you accepted. You accepted me, instead of pushing me away like you always do.

I didn't push you away. She scoffed, swallowing her nervousness away. You came unwanted.

Unwanted? Are you admitting that you willingly shunned a side of yourself away to a place your own demons reside? You call me a monster... but what does that make you? Sora hummed, letting out a cynical, bitter chuckle. It seems you keep forgetting, I am you, and I'll always be here to remind you of that.