𝟏𝟏𝟒| "A brother's love"

CHAPTER 114 — A BROTHERS LOVE
══════════════════

"I'm going to leave and the next time you see me... I can't guarantee that I'll be alive."

Those words seemed to have sparked emotion as Sasuke visibly clenched his jaw, his shoulders tensing and his palms painfully pale but he didn't say a word.

Itachi didn't expect him to, after all. In fact, a part of him hoped that the years of distancing himself from his little brother would somewhat ease the pain of his absence- but grief was a funny, inescapable emotion and he'd felt guilty that he was only piling onto his already apparent distress. Their father had died an ambiguous death and gradually, he had to watch as the people he loved became mere, haunting memories that occasionally reappeared from time to time.

"I know you don't want to hear it, but I'm sorry for everything Sasuke. I'm sorry for neglecting you as a brother, for not being there when you needed me to be and I'm sorry that I'll be unable to be there for you in the future. I never wanted to leave you alone, nor was it ever my intention to make you feel lonely." He stared at his lap. "I could never hate what I thought to be my greatest blessing."

"I could still remember when you were a child. When you first learned how to talk, to crawl, to walk everywhere and anywhere. The times I'd find you reading by the pond or when you wore a nappy on your head." Itachi smiled at the memory. "I also remember every time I failed to be there for you, during father's cruel training, when he burnt your books, made you kill the stray dog, the countless times I have ignored you when all you wanted was my company. I... don't ever expect your forgiveness. But what I do want you to know is that I refuse to leave you empty-handed."

"We don't have much time left, at any moment we'll be expecting an attack from the Oogami. That was preceded, however the form in which it'll take is something I have no jurisdiction over. I can only assume the worst and, if I have assumed correctly, the Uchiha are their target. Our visual prowess has been the object of their interest for many years, but also how our body is compatible with their power- it's unheard of." He placed a lone hand on his eye.

The effects of his illness and the curse had taken a physical toll on his body. He wasn't ignorant to the deterioration of his health, he had only hoped he lasted long enough to finalise his plans and ensure that he had left something behind for Sasuke, something that would guarantee his survival in the years to come.

The power coursing through his veins was enough to make him a crucial target- the Oogami feared for him to learn how to wield it and it was his job to ensure Sasuke learned to do so.

"I'll give you my eyes." Itachi kept his gaze on the sky above, a vortex of colours- though, he was unable to distinguish its details, unable to see the clouds that moved ever so steadily or the white doves that glided with ease. "Only four people exist that are able to wield the Mangekyou; Obito, Shisui, Kakashi and myself. Once you've unlocked the Mangekyou, implanting my eyes will grant you its unrestricted abilities without any hampering side effects."

Sasuke glanced at him, the emotion he'd felt unsettled him and the feeling of emptiness in chest only broadened. "But that's not the only reason, is it?"

He smiled slightly. "Right. I believe that you can use the Tenebris to do two things; to reach the Oogami's level and to amplify- or even mutate the abilities of the Sharingan."