𝟒𝟓| Trust

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."
— Ernest Hemingway

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

The wounds on my legs were progressively healing, the deep laceration was slowly patching itself together but scarring and consecutive pains were inevitable. As for my broken leg, it continued to hurt at an suddenly movement. It'd been long since the Sound Ninja attacked and Dosu's words did nothing but torment me with endless possibilities.

"He very well knows who you are, in fact he'd had his eyes on you for a while now."

My chest tightened, the headache that had been lingering for quite some time began to pound vigorously. Orochimaru knew who I was, whether he knew who I truly was or the facade I put up, I didn't know. If he had his eyes on me, was Sasuke's condition a result of my involvement or was he caught in the cross fire? I was certain he didn't know anything about my Kekkei Genkai and if he did, his knowledge was no better than mine. My Clan had been sworn to secrecy, it's secrets impossible to unravel and any trail or leads to the science behind it always ended up as a dead-end.

It made me wonder if one of those secrets included the thing inside of me.

The taunting voice, a dark, ominous presence that I could physically feel residing in my mind and intertwining itself with my thoughts and my actions. It was one of the reasons why I hadn't said a word since then, scared that any wrong movement would trigger whatever it was and cause me to lose control of myself, not that I had any control of myself or my life to begin with. Everything that happened was the doing of others, every misfortune was inflicted and I couldn't help but blame myself for involving others in my affairs. Even if I told myself that I was stronger, it was far from true if I hadn't managed to protect Sasuke. I failed yet another person.

Was there a point of running anymore?

I couldn't hide, I couldn't run, I couldn't protect myself, so what could I possibly do? I was good for nothing. As much as I wanted to discover more about myself, it wasn't possible. Pent up frustration was brewing in my body, wanting to transmit itself into a scream or a yell or a cry for help. It was all I could do and it was all I wanted to do. Everything kept happening one after the other, the visions, the fear of being found, Orochimaru, my Kekkei Genkai, the monster inside of me, not being able to protect my teammates, not being able to do something good for once, my grief, my yearn to be comforted by my family, wanting to go home, wanting to be normal, wanting to not be scared. It was all building up and it was overwhelming and I couldn't handle it. I just couldn't.

Everything kept piling up, it made me scared of what was going to happen next. I have these powers but I can't even use them to predict what was going to happen next. Even if I could, I still failed because I hadn't been able to make myself useful.

"You're going to make your hands bleed from clenching them so hard."

I didn't need to look up to be able to recognise the owner of the voice, but the subtly and softness of his calloused hands touching mine made me jolt at the sudden contact and in result made my eyes clash with his.

"There, you dork." Sasuke smirked faintly, using his thumb to uncoil my fingers from my palm.

His touch, unexpectedly, surprised me more than I'd anticipated. Using the word subtle to describe a straightforward, steadfast person like him, seemed absurd. In some aspects, he wouldn't dare to be blunt as he kept to himself, only commenting on his disagreements with many things or to defend himself in an argument. I never viewed him as someone who had a gentler side, someone who hadn't revolved himself around training, but others as well. It changed throughout the course of being situated on the same team as him. Yet, there was something else that changed as well. He made me feel nervous, apprehensive, not particularly in a bad way.