𝟗| Death

"It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
– J. K Rowling

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWN

The past couple of weeks had been submerged with a lot of D and C- ranked missions that'd included babysitting, pulling weeds out from the soil, walking dogs, finding missing cats and a long list of other things needed to be done within the village. And it was safe to say Dawn's patience was wearing on a very thin line with constantly butting heads with a certain Uchiha, Sakura indirectly commenting on how much she dislikes the blonde and Naruto messing around as usual- even Kakashi had scolded her numerous times for Jiro's constant threats in eating her teammates and she found herself questioning Iruka's decision in the arrangement of their highly, dysfunctional team.

And yet, she found that a small part of her enjoyed these missions. It was a different change of scenery from constantly being surrounded by annoying kids who were falling asleep during Iruka's lectures. The thought of remotely even feeling something positive towards her team scared her, she didn't want to get attached, she didn't want to hurt anyone again.

"- you do know he's your brother 'tachi. I mean- c'mon, you forgot the date of his graduation exam and barely even have a conversation with him that lasts five minutes."

"I know, Shisui. But it's like every time I talk to him, he wants nothing but to be somewhere else. As if I... disgust him."

"You know that's not true. Sasuke loves you, but you know how your Father treats him. He probably feels obligated to feel some sort of dislike towards you. But he doesn't hate you."

"Are you sure about that?"

Immediately, Dawn knew the voices were clearly talking about Sasuke, which for some reason, made her footsteps falter as she recognised one of the two male Uchiha that were only a couple of steps in front of her. She made an assumption that the one with the tied, long hair was Sasuke's brother and also the praiseworthy prodigy who all the clansmen and villagers admire and the other to be the one who had smiled at her at the graduation exam that Itachi had called 'Shisui'. However, this time she had gotten a closer look at him and instantly felt a drowsiness overwhelm her. It was as if heavy weights were tied around her ankles and wrists causing her movement to restrict drastically, her temples pounding as if someone had collided her head with a sharp object.

"What the..." she murmured to herself, her footsteps staggering backwards as her hands flew to her head.

The wind was circulating fiercely on the grey horizon, where rain splotched the grass and drenched it with it's grieving tears and the trees swayed from the momentum of the uprising thunder storm. Her body was translucent, that was apparent enough, but it was as though goosebumps arose on her skin- not from the piercing coldness in the air, but the sense of dread she was feeling, the familiarity of death that she was accustomed to. Someone was dying or perhaps... already dead.

Two figures stood by the cliff side, where at the bottom was a rather brazen lake in place of it's usual serenity. It was like a light bulb flickered in her head as she recognised who they were as the resemblance was uncanny; a younger version of Itachi stood in front of a younger version of Shisui, his hands limply by his side, deepened circles beneath his tired eyes and a look of extreme sadness on his face. Shisui, on the other hand, had a small, despondent smile on his lips and blood trickling down his cheek from his closed eye. Dawn had to reframe from gasping knowing that no eye settled beneath his lid, and the obvious pain he was in was nerve-wracking.