𝟐𝟕| Dinner

"A good laugh heals a lot of hurts."
— Madeleine L'Engle

───※ ·❆· ※───

DAWNS POV

'You're worth more than you know, but despite your worth, it's your heart that makes you a pot of gold'.

That's what Keiji used to tell me. Of course, my six year old self would grow giddy at the thought of sustaining some sort value, but the older I got the more I wondered what it was he saw in me that made my life worth dying for. There was nothing special that anyone would immediately identify about me right off the bat, my hair was a plain, dull blonde and my skin was filled with engraved lines that told a million stories. The one thing I could truly say I liked the most about myself were my eyes, Keiji loved my eyes. He said that within them, brewed a storm above the ocean but the two never fought, instead they worked together and created something beautiful.

My heart was out of the question. I identified myself as a selfish person, monstrous even. Hearing the voice in my head call me terrible things no longer stung as much as it used to, because eventually I've grown to accept the fact that that was whom I truly am. A being filled with incredible self-loathe and incapable of being loved.

But that slowly began to change when I saw the changes around me. Instead of crawling away at the sight of change, I had dared to stand and admire in awe. And for some reason, change didn't seem so bad anymore.

"Okay, I can do this." I told myself, hugging the flask of tea and homemade pastries to my chest.

It was the only recipes that I vaguely recalled from when I was young and when I did exert effort in cooking, it didn't come out as bad as one would assume of a person who hadn't cooked in years. I thought that it would only be polite if I brought something along, something that also served as an apology for declining Ms Izanagi's constant requests- or pleads- to enjoy the evening with her. A few weeks ago I would've recoiled at the thought of my current actions, and now I just... experimented with new things. Testing the waters to see if it was too hot or too cold.

"Or maybe I should leave." I turned on my heel, the door suddenly appeared to be more excruciatingly frightening than when I first arrived a few minutes ago. The noise behind the door become louder and louder.

"But I said I would go." Cursing under my breath, I whirled my body around again and lifted my fist.

"Would Ms Izanagi even want me here?" I mused to myself, my eyes widening. "Yeah, I should leave."

"This is just sad."

My body froze at the sound, my head slowly moving towards the source only to groan internally. Out of all people, it had to be him seeing me caught up in one my innermost frustrations. It seemed like he had a habit of always appearing at the wrong time. Was he doing this on purpose to torment me or was it purely coincidental?

"Oh shut up." I muttered, stepping aside. "Losers first." I smirked, gesturing to the door.

Sasuke raised an eyebrow in amusement. "Bitches follow."  My smirk dropped immediately. Oh, I see how it was.

Marching right besides him, I beat him to it by knocking on the door harshly with no sense of rhythm whatsoever and nudged him out of the way with my shoulders. Sasuke and I had a mutual agreement, one that hadn't been particularly brought up in discussions, but it was something that we both consented towards. He didn't like or dislike me and I didn't like or dislike him. We merely helped each other train and tossed a few insults here and there for the sake of it. Despite that, it didn't conceal the fact that the Uchiha was a complete, infuriating, exasperating, annoying, maddening, aggravating- and all the other words that ended with 'ing'- little piece of—