𝟖𝟕| "A stray among a pack of wolves"

CHAPTER 87– A STRAY AMONG A PACK OF WOLVES
══════════════════

THREE AND A HALF YEARS AGO FROM CURRENT DAY

The willow tree's petals budded, blossoming into a herd of flamboyant, rubescent spring flowers and rose hips immersing from its enfolds.

A stray petal cascaded gently, cradled by the soft winds as it landed on the stream perspired by the gushing steam of the waterfall. It was during the early morn of May where she watched the water ruthlessly crash and meddle with the earth's vast trinket of stability. The condensation of water steamed her face with a cool, yet humid breeze mingling with the brazen, hot heat. Her heart thundered, alongside the trembling footsteps that resonated in her ears were the screams of pure terror and calamity; an era of blood that made her stomach quench with friendly sickness.

First it was a day, and then a week, and then a month, and then a few months spent it utmost turmoil and paranoia. Dawn couldn't understand what had happened, what had changed, what had shifted her soul and mind to a place so lonely and desolate from the warmth she grew accustomed to. It was her time to grow and become a better version of herself, but all she tasted was imminent downfall.

And so, she closed her eyes and painted a picture of peace. The blue and white soft streaks illustrated the sky, boundlessly expansive and broad- a constant in her life- she needed continuity, change frightened her, scared her until she spent another night weeping with trepidation and bile. The greens of the grass silkily glided through the brush, similar to how it would entangle between her fingers. And finally the softest touch of rich darkness and light, his eyes, his warmth, his words, his presence, rendered in her vision. So long he stayed, so long he was there, so long they were all there, she would be fine, everything would be fine.

Ignorance is bliss. Sora whispered into her ears. A harsh, frightful stroke painted her vision black with emptiness. But how long will that bliss last until you finally accept the truth? You finally know. You just need to accept it. Accept that the future isn't going to change.

Acceptance was the act of acknowledging change. And she was a being of selfishness, willing to bathe in ignorance so long she could enjoy the peace it brought to her soul before everything she tried so hard to protect collapsed within her hold.

"There you are." Warmth immediately engulfed her body, a being that gravitated towards her soul, making her Shizen spike with excitement and relief.

She looked at him, like a new born gazing upon her mother for the first time, like he was a book she wanted to desperately read and analyse over and over again and never get tired of it, a guilty pleasure she yearned to enjoy for as long as she could before it was taken away from her. Dawn blinked, the heaviness in her chest momentarily disappearing from existence as he sat down besides her and brought his arm around her shoulder.

"At least you have your scarf." Sasuke said, hauling her in close as if he was trying to distribute his body heat. "You're always so freezing and you never bother to wear something warm before you go and disappear." He scolded.

"Sorry." Dawn mumbled, leaning her head against his chest as she closed her eyes. For a moment, she was terrified of what she would see, but his presence chased away the sight. "I didn't mean to worry you."

"Yeah, I know." He tucked her head under his chin and sighed. "Just... whenever you run off on your own again at least bring me with you. Don't leave me with those losers."

"I'll take that into consideration next time." A faint smile bestowed her lips, filling her cheeks with warmth.

No words were said. A silence, a comfortable silence spent basking in the morning's sunrise and listening to the occasional psithurism and woodland critters in the bushes.