𝟏𝟏𝟏| "To my spirit, farewell"

CHAPTER 111 — TO MY SPIRIT, FAREWELL
══════════════════

PRESENT DAY

The smoke twisted and twirled, its wisps delicately dancing around like a stream of grey and white ribbons that synchronised its movements, an artistry of swirls exuding a dark, destructive force; ravenous flames eating away everything it touched. A light, mesmerising to admire, yet scorched at contact.

That was what I was. A flame that kept others at bay, afraid to let people in and provided warmth to conceal the true coldness inside. But once you ventured too close, the darkness expanded and mistook proximity for threat. For danger. It did more than burn skin, it sizzled flesh to the bone, it unleashed a different kind of fire, a blue flame that contaminated everything it touched like a parasite, infiltrating both body and mind. I was a plague to those I touched, those who saw a glimpse of light and got too close, misconstruing it for good disguised as evil.

I heaved, the air being forced out of my lungs as our bodies collided to the ground. Sasuke swallowed the brunt of the fall, the portal we were sucked through transporting us to the centre of the Village where the danger was at its peak. Buildings fallen to its knees and humans reduced to panic and hysteria.

A shaky exhale escaped my lips as I rolled my body off Sasuke. I let out a pained grunt, my back falling to the ground and the amalgamation of smoke morphing into an image more sickening. One that induced fear and rattled my nerves.

Death's at my doorstep once again, a reaper ready to collect yet another soul.

"Sasuke." I rasped, my throat and eyes burning from the smoke. His body was unmoving, so very still. "Sasuke." I repeated again, this time more desperate.

Fate could decimate me until I was black and blue. Beat me till I was numb, unconscious, on the verge of death. Torn apart, bit by bit and intensify the pain tenfold. I would endure death a thousand times before I even let it touch him.

He thought I was sick and twisted, incapable of feeling anything other than an urge to destroy the world around me. What he didn't understand was I was more than that. I would burn the entire world to the ground and the people that reside on it. I would tarnish my reputation, paint my hands and body red, lose myself to the brink of sanity if it meant he could live to see another day. I was selfish, and cruel, and cold, but for him. Even if that meant that he'd see me as the bad guy. Endgame was near and I had no intention of stopping it.

But it doesn't mean I'm completely helpless.

I lifted my hand, it felt like a ton of bricks were weighing it down as I ground my teeth together and placed it on his chest— just where his heart was and waited. It took me a few seconds to catch it, but then I felt it. A beat.

Blood tainted the corner of his lips, his skin bestrewn with bleeding cuts and grazes, hair matted and clothes torn and eyes plagued with sleeplessness. I never once underestimated the extents he'd go for me, otherwise the measures I'd taken to ensure that he would stay away from me wouldn't have been as perilous to his heart and soul. But I did underestimate how hard it would be for me to stay away.

"Wake up." I said weakly, shaking his body. "Please, wake up."

He didn't respond.