Chapter 57

Miranda's pov

Dad was performing a show at one of the famous downtown bars. I went to watch the show of course I won't drink. Garrett was cheering and enjoying the show and I couldn't stop smiling. I love my awesome family. My phone rings catching me off guard. It's mom. I walk outside and cover one ear to hear her. "Hello?" She sounded like she'd been crying. "Somebody kidnapped Memphis!! We were all hanging out in the front yard and Memphis and Jeremy were coming back from getting ice cream when a car stopped beside them and grabbed him!!!" I almost drop the phone in horrified shock. "I'll tell dad." I say, shaking. I run inside, screaming for my father. People looked at me like I was nuts but I was able to shove through the crowd. 

Jason's pov

What the? I set my guitar down confused as Mirabda ran over crying. "We have to go! Now! Somebody kidnapped Memphis!!" I instantly feel nauseous as I stand up.  We run out together. "Wait, Garrett!" She gasps. "You go! Get to mom!" She calls running back inside. I run to my truck terrified and drive home as fast as I can, my hands are shaking and I can't catch my breath. "Who the hell would do this?!" I get home and Jeremy is crying in Britt's arms. "What the heck happened?!" "A g-gray car j-just snatched him!!!" She cries, sobbing. I hug her tight. "Where's Chris?" She was shaking. "I.... H-He ran after the c-car! I.... He never came back, Oh Jason!! What are we gonna do?!" "Did you call the police?" She nods. Danny pulls up along with Max. "What's going on?" I gape confused. Danny takes Britt and Jeremy inside. "I think it might have been Dakota. He's been taking chemo for his cancer and it has made him delusional. Sylvia has been looking for him and says she hasn't seen him all day and the car Brittany described is the same car he drives." I take a deep breath trying to stay calm. "W-What do we do?!" "Chances are he's tired himself out. I'm heading to their house to see if he's there." I decide to join him. "If we find him, don't beat him up." He says sternly. I roll my eyes. "As if I'm gonna beat up a cancer patient! My God Max!" He grips the steering wheel tight. "I just know how protective you are." He says with a smirk. We drive there and it annoys me. "Can't you go any faster?!" "I'm trying not to get police on my ass, Jason!" He grumbles annoyed. Ugh. Finally after what felt like forever, we get to their place. Sylvia was waiting out front. "Where's my son?!!!"  I shout, desperate and scared, hoping he's okay. She was pacing. "I havent seen him or heard from him. I hope he's okay." She whispers, gripping her arms tight. Max tries calling and shockingly he answered... Or someone did. It sounded like... MEMPHIS!!" "Memphis!!" I shout. "Are you okay?" He coughs and I heard the sound of something metal scraping. "I.... He... Fainted at the w-wheel. We wrecked... I can't.... Move.. It smells like smoke!" He chokes out. Horror fills me. My stomach twists in knots. "Where are you?!" I cry, grabbing the phone and running to Max's car. "I... Highway.... Under a br-bridge.... There.... There's a mural on it." He mumbles. "Mems ya gotta stay awake! Try to get out. I'm on my way!! But ya gotta try and get out. The car could catch fire." I know where the place is. "Daddy, I'm scared." He says. "Don't worry Memphis. I'm coming. I will not give up. You can't give up either buddy. Stay strong. Stay awake! I'm coming!" "I think... I'm dying." He whispers. My heart almost stops. I slam on the gas. "MEMPHIS WAKE UP!! SON DON'T QUIT ON ME!! PLEASE I'M COMING. YOU'LL BE OKAY!!!" I turn the corner and see the wreckage. I hot the brakes and run over as fast as I can. Black smoke flowed and I knew it was going to catch fire and possibly explode. "Memphis!" I scream, tugging on the door. The car was flipped upside down. Gas and smoke poured out everywhere I could barely see. "Daddy!" He choked out and I saw his hand hit the glass. I try with all my might to open the door. It was locked and wouldn't budge. His hand was shaking against the glass. He was crying and scared. "Memphis!" I cry, pounding on the window! "Please oh God!! Please let me get him out!" I scream pulling harder on the handle. Rage fills me. "I will not lose my son!" I yell, yanking it open and finally getting to him. I scoop him up. He was crying hysterically. "I've got you. It's okay." I say, running away from the car. "B-But what about-" I turn around to go back for him when the car explodes. "Shit!" I set Memphis down and run back over. Its a fireball. "Daddy!!" I look over to see a squad car. My family running towards me. I'm shaking. He's dead. "G-Guys.... I.... Da-" Suddenly a second explosion goes off, throwing me to the ground, blinding pain searing up my back. Oh God!! It hurts so bad! I heard someone say stay awake but I felt so lightheaded. 

*a few hours later*

I wake up to a blinding light shining in my face. I groggily shield my eyes. "What's going on?" I mumble. "Oh Thank God we thought you were dead!" Brittany said hugging me. "Memphis." I mumble tiredly. "He's okay, Jason. A few scrapes, burns, and a concussion but he's alive." "What happened... To me? I.... My back-" A doctor walks in. "You have some second degree burns but you'll make a full recovery as well." "And Dakota-" "He's dead." She shakily says. "Why did he do what he did?" I shakily whisper, hugging my crying wife.