Chapter 60

Jason's pov

*a few weeks later*

I went over to Miranda and Garret's place. They were throwing a party in celebration of the babies coming. There was a lot of people I didn't know. I didn't realize she knew so many people. Probably from working where she works. I was glad to see Lily and even happier when she excitedly ran over to me. I picked her up and hugged her tight. "Havin' a good time lil bit?" "Mrs. Miranda let me feel her belly." She says, gladly. A couple kids ran by with squirt guns. "I wanna go play." She says so I set her down and she runs off after the boys. While walking around, trying to find my wild goof of a daughter, I overheard a woman I didn't know say, "Do you think if she cant handle all three, she'll give one up for adoption?" That makes me freeze in my tracks and almost bust out laughing. "Um I don't mean to eavesdrop but to answer your question, no. She won't do that." I say, after controlling the laughing fit I had. "She and her brothers are adopted." "Oh. Well that's kinda unexpected." Huh? "Why is that unexpected?" "She's too confident to sound like someone who's been adopted." Damn this woman is stupid. "People who've been adopted can be confident. Trust me when we first met her, she was terrified of  everyone. She didn't trust anyone either." She looks bewildered. "Are you.... How-" The girl beside her starts laughing. "God Jamie shut up. You're embarrassing." "How do you know my daughter anyway?" I ask, crossing my arms. "Your daughter? Oh... You're her father!" "Yeah." I say annoyed. This girl is either dumb as a sack of potatoes or just doesn't pay attention. "I've worked with Garret before on builds." My son in law is a contractor and landscaper. "Oh OK." I quickly make an excuse and leave. "Plum idiot." I say shaking my head. I finally find my daughter and son in law. "Daddy! I've been looking everywhere for you!" She says, hugging me. "Right back at ya!" I say, happily hugging her back. "There is so many people here." She smiles. "Yeah me and Max sort of set up an adoption drive on the side so not everyone is here just to party. Alot of these folks are potential fosters or adoptees." Oh. No wonder. I just hope Jamie isn't one of them. Just then Jeremy and Memphis barrel through with Lily on Memphis's shoulders. Gosh I do love my kids. A car pulls up and out steps my eldest son. "Oh you made it Chris!" Miranda says hugging him. "Wouldn't miss it for the world. God youre huge! How far along?" She laughs and punches him in the shoulder. "3 months." She says. "Oh hey dad I haven't introduced you to our most recent foster daughter. Her name is Matilda. She's one of the smartest people I've ever met." She says, grabbing my hand and walking around to the front yard. There was a little 8 year old girl playing hop scotch with Brittany. "How cute." I say smiling. "We've been debating on officially adopting her but we aren't sure because of having three new babies coming." I hug her. "You should do it honey. I know you can do it. You're one of the most extraordinary people I've ever met." She smiles. "You're the best father I could ever ask for." 

Miranda's pov

I find Garret in the crowd of people. "Garret, let's make it official and adopt Matilda." He smiles and hugs me. "I love you, Miranda."  "I love you too." I say happily. 

*a few days later*

We set up another party but just family for this one. Mom, dad, the siblings, uncle Danny. I put a blindfold on Matilda. "What's going on?" She asks, sounding nervous. "We have a surprise for you." I say, guiding her down the stairs and into the living room where my family was waiting with gifts and celebratory cake. There was a banner that said welcome to the family. I gave her a card that said, "I've been in foster care for 866 days and today I'm getting adopted!" "OK you can take off your blindfold." I say, excited. She shakily takes it off and blinks a couple times confused. She saw the banner and then looked at the card and burst into tears. I hugged her tight and Garret picked her up. "Y-You really w-want m-me?" She whimpered pointing to herself. "B-But I'm too different!" "No you aren't." Me and Garret both say, hugging the sweet little girl. "You're perfect just the way you are and I'm so glad you're joining our family!" I say.