Chapter 5

Miranda's pov

I'm super excited. I wonder what the surprise is. I was reading a book while Chris was watching Mickey mouse on TV. I couldn't keep from smiling. This is the first foster home where they let us watch TV. Brittany walks downstairs. "Have you gotten in the shower yet?" She asks me. "Yes ma'am. When I woke up." "Has Chris?" I shrug. She goes back upstairs then comes back down a few seconds later. "Chris time for your bath." "But Mickey!" He says pointing. "Mickey will still be here when you get back out." She says pausing the TV. "Can I bring my cars?" She nods and they go upstairs for his bath. I wonder when we're going to the surprise. Jason walks down and sits beside me on the couch. "When are we going?" "As soon as Chris is ready." "I'm excited." He smiles. "You're gonna have fun." "Jason.... What if.... What if nobody wants to adopt us both?" "I don't know how to answer that honey."

*Later*

"Well I'll stand my ground. I won't get turned around, in a world that keeps on draggin' me down, gonna stand my ground. And I won't... Back down. Hey baby! There ain't no easy way out. Hey.... I... I'll stand my ground... And I won't. Back. Down!" Wow. I love this song and he's really good at singing it. "The talented Tom Petty everybody!" He says when he finishes the song. "He's a good singer." I say. Brittany smiles. "He's sure talented." She says.

Jason's pov

I glance back at my girl. "I have an announcement to make." I say, taking the mic off the stand. "Some of you may know through social media, me and Britt became foster parents recently. To two very amazing kids. They're brave and smart and very inquisitive. If anyone at all has intentions of adopting them both. Wait in the lobby after the show for an interview. These kids have been through alot and deserve the best."

*Later*

I'm surprised at how many people stayed. Mike handles the preparations, one couple or person at a time. Chris was watching Mickey on Brittany's phone. He's a big fan of Disney I've learned. Miranda was sitting beside him. She's nervous again. I've found out she's always nervous at the thought of getting adopted. I see why. After almost four hours and 25 different interviews, we're exhausted and not even close to finding the perfect family. It's depressing. "Let's go home, kids." I say reluctantly. "Wait!" A guy says, walking in. "You'd like to adopt?" "Of course. Both of them!" He sounds so desperate. Miranda grabs my arm, a panicked look on her face. "What's wrong?" "Not him!" She cries, shaking. "Why?" "He's our dad! He killed our mom!" She starts to cry.  He gets angry. "She was at fault not me!" "No you were mad that she didn't want to be abused anymore and you killed her!!!" Miranda yells. "I'LL NEVER LET YOU NEAR CHRIS!!!" He makes a move to walk closer to her but I stand in the way. "Don't even think about it asshole."

*Later*

Miranda's pov

*In her dream*

"MOMMY!!!" I stumbled to my knees beside her. She was bleeding and crying and screaming in pain. Dad grabbed Chris's arm and he screamed Sissy in fear! "No!!" I yell standing up and pulling on him.

Jason's pov

I hear Miranda scream so I run to her room. She was having a nightmare, probably about her fucking dad! I shake her awake. She screams in fear and opens her eyes, breathing heavily with fear. "It's okay. You're okay." I say hugging her. "He can't and won't get you." I see out of my peripheral vision, Brittany standing in the doorway. "Why doesn't anyone want us?! What's wrong with me?!" She screams in misery, crying the whole time. I bite my lip worried and look at her. She nods, making my eyes go wide. We've been discussing adopting them but neither of us have agreed to it. Until now.i smile and hold the crying girl tight. I can't wait for her to get the surprise of her life. We're gonna adopt them both. Britt smiles.