Chapter 69

Brittany's pov

Jason and Jeremy came home and Jason seemed upset. "Get on your homework." He says, patting his back. He walks into the kitchen where I was working on dinner. "You alright?" I ask as he leans against the counter beside me. "Is there such a thing as doing too much charity work?" I've been thinking he's doing too much for a while now. I just knew he wouldn't take it well. So I didn't say anything. "There's always a limit to how much you can do." I say, wanting to be careful with my words. "I know you want to save every single kid but you can't. You can only do so much." He turns around,  resting his hands on the counter top and staring hard at it. "There's this kid. Brandon." "Don't say what I think you're going to say. We can't take on any more kids right now." I quickly say,  resting a hand lightly on his shoulder. "Let me rephrase. I can't." "I'm not asking you to, Britt." He says, sighing. "Just... He reminded me of when Miranda was little. It's... It's hard. It's hard seeing these kids suffer. I don't even know what I'm accomplishing! Nothing I do seems to help anyone." "What?!  Don't say that! Of course it does! You're helping those kids whether you realize it or not." "Of course you are dad." We look at the doorway caught off guard. Jeremy stood in the doorway. "You helped me. You saved my life. Gave me a life! I'd have been dead without you or tossed out on the streets when I hit eighteen. You're helping the others. They just don't realize it yet. But they will."

Jason's pov

"It just takes a little patience." I hear the front door open. We walk out of the kitchen to see Chris and Miranda walk through the door as Memphis walks down the steps. "You've been working hard. I thought you needed a break." Britt says, holding my hand. "I know how happy your kids make you." "They aren't kids anymore." I murmur,  glad but sad at the same time. "Well dinner is almost ready." My wonderful wife says, walking back into the kitchen. Just then Matilda ran in and ran over to me. I happily picked her up. "I learned some interesting facts about reptiles, grandpa. Did you know that the gila monster is the only lizard with a venomous bite?" Man she's smart. And she loves to learn. "I never knew. What else did you learn?" She goes on and on about lizards and snakes. I love this little girl so much. Man I'm still not used to being called grandpa. There's a knock at the door and Chris opens it. "A little help with the babies, please?" Garrett says. I laugh along with Britt and Miranda. "Sorry. I got excited." She says, hugging him. They go back outside and I walk to the door. Man my little girl ain't so little anymore. And Britt's right. I may not be able to save everyone but I certainly won't stop trying.

*a few weeks later*

I was nominated for an award for my charity work. The president's Volunteer Service award. According to Max, it's the most prestigious award out there for volunteer work. "This is a big deal, man." Max says as we walk to lunch. The halls of our sanctuary were bustling with kids. "I really don't want to talk about this here." I say, nervous. "Not to mention I don't do it for glory or to be recognized. Hell I don't even want it." "Why not?" He gapes shocked. "Max I do this for the kids. I don't want some stupid award for it. People already talk too much about me. This part of my life is the only part I keep as private as possible. Heck if it weren't for you, and the first kids I fostered, I wouldn't even have gotten into it. If anything, you should get it. You dedicated your life to this job." He laughs and stops walking, shaking his head. "What?" I gape confused. "Yes, Jason I love helping kids. That's why I got into this line of work but this is my job too. I don't volunteer like you. You do it all for free. Just like being a social worker is Miranda's job. We get paid to do it. That's why we don't qualify." Oh. "Well I feel like folks who get paid for it should still be recognized." I say, leaning on the wall beside him. "We're recognized and thanked. We just don't qualify for a volunteering award." He says shrugging. I felt like someone was watching me. I looked around but everyone was just walking and not paying attention to us. Then I saw him. Brandon. Staring at us from ghr doorway across the hall. I couldn't read his expression. But as soon as he realized, I saw him, he spun on his heel and started walking off. He was close enough to hear what we were saying. I'm worried. What's he thinking about?