Chapter 12

Jason's pov

Me and Brittany were waiting while she was in surgery. Chris was crying in my lap. "What if she doesn't make it?" Brittany whispers, crying too. "She's gotta." I say, hoping she will. A doctor walks out. I watch him nervously. He was talking to a nurse. "If he survives, the police will take him into custody." My hands tense up. He's talking about Nick. I set Chris in my seat and walk over. "You're talking about Nick." He nods. "That little shit doesn't deserve medical treatment. He shot and killed three kids today and shot my daughter!" "I have no say in it sir. I'm just doing what the police said to do." "Is he awake?" He nods. So that little jerk is awake and my daughter is clinging to life. "We found marijuana in his system." He says talking to the nurse again. That would explain the red glazed eyes and erratic behavior. "Can I see him?" He sighs. "I don't think that's a good idea." "I won't hurt him. I just want to talk to him." "Fine." He leads me to his room and I walk in. He's barely awake with an IV in his arm. "Hey wake up, kid." He opens his eyes and shock fills them. "How could you?!" "I'm.... I didn't mean to shoot her!" "She's clinging to life right now! Back in surgery. We'll be lucky if she pulls through!" I shout at him, beyond furious. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean to! I never wanted to hurt her!! I was just so tired of the bullies... Then I got carried away!" "I understand the bully part but murder is never the answer." "Please... Tell her I'm sorry." He whimpers. "If she survives." I gripe crossing my arms. He starts to cry and normally I'd feel bad. But this kid could have quite possibly killed my little girl. "I'm being honest. I didn't mean to hurt her." He says. "I believe you, kid. But it still doesn't change the fact that you did it." "I wish you killed me." He whispers. I'm glad I didn't or I could've gotten in trouble. Probably not though. "I'm sorry." I'm still mad. I'm not relenting. Nor will I forgive him. I decide to get out of there before I do or say anything I'll regret. I walk back to the waiting room and gasp in surprise. My family isn't in there anymore. That can only mean one thing! "Baby girl!" I gasp, running for her room. She was in the bed, eyes closed with Britt and Chris beside her. I quickly walk over to the bed. "Princess?" I whisper terrified. I need to see her awake. "She's going to make a full recovery. However it will take some time." Her doctor says, walking in and putting something in the IV in her hand. "Honey?" I whisper worried. She blinks a few times. I sit on the edge of her bed. She scrunches her eyes tight then yawns. "Miranda?" Brittany whispers. She opens her eyes. "Mama... Daddy?" She whispers, squinting. "W-Where... Where's Chris?!" She starts to panic. "It's okay. He's right here." I say picking him up and setting him on the bed beside her. "I'm.... I... Was so scared." She whimpers hugging him tight. Her IV pulls a little and she cries out in pain. I get her to lay back down. "On a scale of 1-10, how in pain is your chest?" The doctor asks. "4." She says, looking tired. "Well get some rest." The doctor leaves. "I was so scared. I thought I was gonna die." She whispers. "I'm so glad you're okay, honey." I say holding her hand. "How.. How's Nick?" "He's alive." I reluctantly say. "What... What's gonna happen daddy?" "Let's not worry about that right now. You focus on getting better." I say worriedly, smoothing her hair back. She falls back to sleep a few minutes later. "Is she gonna be okay?" Britt asks, her hands shaking. I hug her tight. "Of course babe. The doctor said so. She's just gotta take it slow." Chris curls up beside her and falls asleep.