Chapter 27

*a few weeks later*

Jason's pov

The bright sunlight coming through the blinds wakes me up. Brittany still fast asleep beside me, her hair a mess making me smile. Then I hear soft singing. "Boy, you're gonna have it all, you'll think you're ten feet tall run like you're bulletproof and total a car or two. I confusedly get dressed and make my way downstairs. "You're gonna come back home, you're gonna settle down, but you won't feel the way I'm feelin' now..... Until you have a boy. He's gonna have it all. He'll think he's ten feet tall. Run like he's bulletproof and total a car or two." I am caught off guard seeing Miranda rocking Memphis and singing that to him. He was awake and staring up at her. Wow.

Miranda's pov

I tense up in surprise when I hear clapping. I look behind me and smile seeing dad. "Hey. Ya startled me." "I'm guessing little man woke up early huh?" "Yeah he's been calm and playing for about an hour then got fussy so I sang him a few songs." "I heard." He says sitting on the couch. I sit beside him. "You're a really good nurturer honey. I think you'll make a great mom come time." I hand Memphis to him. "It's definitely on my agenda. Garret's nervous I can tell. But I know he'll be a great father, much better than his own." Dad nods. Suddenly I hear Chris cry out upstairs. I jump up instantly and race upstairs. He was fidgeting in his sleep. I sat beside him on the bed and brushed his hair back a little. His face was sweaty and his hand were clamped around the sheet. "In my daughter's eyes, I am a hero, I am strong and wise and I know no fear. But the truth is plain to see, she was sent to rescue me, I see who I wanna be... In my daughter's eyes." He relaxes a little. I sing the song til he's calmed down. Daddy stood in the doorway. "He's okay." I say, walking over, glancing over my shoulder. It's been a long time since he's had a nightmare. "Why that song?" He asks when we walk back downstairs. "It's the song mama sang to me when I was little. I would sing it to him when he was upset after we became orphans." I grab a bowl of cereal for breakfast. He puts Memphis in his playpen. "You are.... Such a strong girl." He says sitting beside me. I feel my face get hot. "I mean... I don't think I could've done what you did... And still come out tough." I smile. "I'd do anything for my baby brother." I say. He smiles. "You're such an amazing girl, Miranda. I'm so glad you're my daughter." I fight back tears and we share a hug, the tears silently slip out. "You're the best daddy any girl could ever want." I whisper, happily.