Chapter 10

Nick's pov

One of the bullies had me pinned to the wall while the searched me for money. I want to punch him but I know he'll just beat me up if I do. "Stop it!!" I hear Miranda yell. The guy drops me and turns around. "I have had enough of you getting in the middle of business, pipsqueak." Her face gets red but not with embarrassment. With anger. "Pipsqueak." She whisper growls. She grabs his shirt and slams him into the wall. "I'll show you a pipsqueak!" "You will do no such thing!" A teacher yells. My jaw drops. The bully smirks and falls on his butt. "Oh thank goodness Mrs. Prevvie!" He gasps. "They were ganging up on me!" He shouts. My jaw drops. So does hers. "THAT'S NOT TRUE!!" I yell, frustrated. She crosses her arms. "All three of you, office."

Jason's pov

The kids get home. We were in the middle of interviewing a couple to adopt Sabrina. "Dad when you're not busy, I need to talk to you!" Oh man. She sounds pissed. What happened at school? "I'll be done in a minute sweetie." After the interview, they sign to adopt. I smile excited to tell Sabrina but then I remembered something is wrong with Miranda. I worriedly walk upstairs while Brittany takes care of preparations with Sabrina. "Hey honey what's up?" She glares at the floor and hands me a pink piece of paper. "Fighting on school grounds!" I gasp reading it out loud. "What-" "It's a lie! All I did was pull David off of Nick. He was beating him up! But then when the teacher came out, he pretended to be the victim and the teacher believed him!" I knew she wouldn't have done that. "Such asshole teachers." I mutters pissed. "Me and Nick are suspended for three days!" That is so not right! Hm. "Hey call Nick. You're not in trouble. We're going to a water park these three days." Her eyes go wide in surprise. "Really!" I smile and nod. "It's BS you getting suspended so we'll have some fun instead." She smiles. "You're the best dad."

*A couple days later*

Nick's pov

It was our last night on this mini vacation. We were in our hotel watching the star wars trilogy. I couldn't stop thinking about the bullies. I look around at my second family, talking and joking. Having fun. I wish I had this. But mom and dad are too busy working all the time to notice or care. I sigh sadly, remembering the bullies. It gets to the fight scene where Darth Vader is attacking Luke Skywalker and he cuts his hand off. Seeing Luke cry onscreen like that, makes something inside me snap. "I've gotta get some fresh air." I mutter standing up.

Jason's pov

I worriedly walk out to the balcony. "You okay kid?" He looks pissed. Really pissed for a 13 year old. "No." He says. I lean against the railing beside him. "Wanna talk about it?" "I feel just like Luke." He whispers. "What do you mean?" "My parents don't care much about me. I barely have any friends. And Darth is the bullies." He whispers, closing his eyes. I'm tired of this poor kid getting picked on. "You need to fight back, Nick. Don't let them win. Give 'em a taste of good ol fashioned country justice." He stares at the ground wide eyed. "Yeah!" I smile. "That's the spirit."

*3 days later*

I was about to go practice shooting more. "Brittany have you seen my rifle?" I ask. She walks in our room. "I don't touch your guns!" She says. I am so confused. "Where could it be? I left it in the closet. Didn't I?" She shrugs. "Maybe you left it in the shed when you put your targets up." "Maybe." I walk out there but it's not there. Hm. "I am not usually this careless with guns." I mumble, confused. I walk back inside as Brittany turns the TV on and sits on the couch. I head to the kitchen to get a drink. "We interrupt this daily broadcast to bring you a news bulletin. A shooter has entered school grounds." Holy shit! What school!? I run out there and my stomach drops. "The kids!" Brittany screams standing up. I grab her arm. "There's nothing you can do!" I say wrapping her in my arms. "We've gotten news that it's a thirteen year old with a Wicked brand hunting rifle." Horror fills me. My rifle? I look at the TV screen and there's camera footage. To my horror, it's Nick.