Chapter 75

Jason's pov

After almost an hour of talking through everything, they're both finally calmed down enough to be in the same room. Poor Jeremy is  still naturally skittish and everything has freaked him out a bit. He had clearly been crying. "Why... Why'd you leave?" He shakily asked, his hands shaking and wrapped around one of Memphis's arms. "I didn't leave you." He shakily says. "She took you away from me. I've been looking for you ever since she took you. Legally she had full custody so it wasn't considered kidnapping even thought it should've been." He says, looking furious. "I'm so sorry. I should've tried harder. I.. Can't believe-" "It isn't your fault." I say, standing up. "You can rest easy knowing that wicked woman is behind bars and not allowed around children after what she did." Jeremy looked on the verge of tears. I hugged him tight. "Ya know we were already celebrating. Nothin' wrong with celebrating another edition to the family." I was surprised to see Jeremy looking fierce almost brave. "I know... What I want to... To do." He says, his voice shaking a little. "If... If it's alright with you... I would like to live with m-my birth father.... I.. And still come over to visit." Wow. I hate to admit I'm a little hurt. I thought he'd want to live with us. But I don't want to be the jerk in this scenario. "Of course Jeremy. You're welcome here any day." He hugged his father. I ignored the baseball sized rock in my stomach at even thinking those words. Jeremy's my boy, my son! It tears me in two. He caught me off guard by running over and hugging me tightly. "You are the best father any kid could ever want. You and mom were there for me when nobody else was.... When I was.... So alone. You gave me confidence and love when I thought I was worthless. You saved my life. I l-love you. " I shakily bent down, fighting back crying and hugged him tightly. "I love you too, son. You'll always be my boy. No amount of distance or time will change that." Brittany started crying and Miranda hugged her. He smiles, wearily glancing at her. "Nothin' wrong with havin' t-two dads, right?" I force a smile, feeling tears well in my eyes. "Right." I shakily say, standing back up as he walks back to his dad. They share a tight hug and he nervously waves. "If ya need to talk, don't hesitate to call. You know I'm always here." "Thanks dad." He says, holding his hand. They leave and I honestly feel broken. Like someone just ripped my heart out of my chest. "You alright?" Brittany asks. "I ain't gonna lie... That was... One of the hardest things I've gone through in a while. I'm gonna miss him so damn much." She hugs me and Danny sits on the other side of me and hugs me too. "This... Genuinely... Sucks." I mutter. "Well in the poker game of life, ya can't fold. No matter how shitty the hand is." Brandon says, making me smile. I could tell by the look on Britt's face she wanted to correct his grammar but she stayed quiet as our boys walked over for a group hug, followed by our two eldest. The two kids that changed my life forever. They set me on this path just by existing. I know I wouldn't have anything to do with the system if it weren't for meeting and getting to know them. They changed my life. And for that... I will always be grateful.

THE END