Chapter 16

Jason's pov

"Prison ruins good people." Miranda whispers curled up on the couch beside me. I sigh sadly. "What happened wasn't your fault." "He wanted me that's why he came here. And I wasn't there for him I should have visited him." He might not have lost his mind if she did but I won't tell her that. I didn't want her going to a prison to visit him anyway. "E didn't deserve prison and he didn't deserve to die." "I agree but we can't change what happened. Let's stop thinking about it and move on. Who was that other kid anyway?" "Oh, Garret." That name sounds familiar. "Who is he?" "Well he was the jerk who bullied me before high school about being an orphan. Then you scared the pants off him." Oh. "What the hell is he doing coming over to our house?" "I dunno. I think he thinks he'll get lucky with me. He says I grew into my looks." She says using quotations on the last sentence. "No frickin' way." I say, steamed. She laughs. "He's got no chance in hell." She says sitting up and brushing her hair out of her face. "When's mom coming back?" "After she finishes her yoga class." "I know I mean how long." I shrug.

Miranda's pov

"I'm gonna go check on Chris." I head upstairs. I knock on his door. Silence greets me. I worriedly walk in. "Hey little brother." I say sitting beside him on the bed. He stares at the ground. "Why did Nick try to hurt you?" I sigh. "He was mad... And confused." I say hugging him. "I don't want to lose you, Miranda. You're my only family." My eyes go wide. "But Chris, I'm... What about mom and dad? And uncle Danny?" He glares at the floor. "They're not our real parents. You and I both know that." I didn't know he knew that. I thought he'd be too young to remember. "I remember all the foster homes. All the abuse and heartache. Don't think I forgot." He says standing up. "But Chris! We're adopted! They are our adoptive parents! They love us!" "I want my real mommy." He whimpers, crying. I hug him. "I know. I miss mom too but we're happy here." He pulls away. "No you're happy here. I wanna go home!" "We are home!" "Hey is there a problem up there?" I hear dad shout from downstairs. I bite my lip. "No we're fine!" I call back. Chris walks out slamming the door behind him. He goes down the basement stairs to our playroom. I ran over to dad worried. "Chris is really upset about what happened with Nick!" "Huh? What happened?" "I went to check on him and he was mad about Nick almost hurting me. There's something wrong with him." He stands up. "Let's go see what's up."

Jason's pov

I walk down the stairs. "Chris, where are ya bud?" The room was empty. Now I'm confused. I coulda sworn he came down here. Oh wait, he's hiding in the corner. I walk over. "Chris what's wrong, son?" "Why does bad stuff happen to good people?" He whispers, his head resting against his knees. I sit beside him worried. "Why did Nick hurt those kids and Miranda?" I sigh. "Those kids were hurting him and he just couldn't take it. It wasn't good what he did. But if those bullies weren't hurting him, he wouldn't have done it." "I thought we were friends." He says. I wish I knew what to say. "I miss mama." "She'll be home soon." He glares at me with intense anger. "No she won't. She's dead!" Huh? "What do-" "He's talking about our birth mom." Miranda says walking down the stairs. Well I'm not sure what to say. "Um.. Well I'm.. There's nothing I can really do about that." He sits there and sulks. I go back upstairs, unsure of what to say or do. "He's really upset." Miranda says worried. "I know." I say biting my lip. I hug her. "I'll figure something out. Don't worry." "Thanks Dad. I love you." "I love you too angel."