Chapter 43

Miranda's pov

I instantly call Max while making sure that woman isn't going near this poor terrified little girl. "What's your name?" I ask her. "Leila." She whimpers hiding behind me from her furious mother. Max arrives along with some squad cars. "Take her downtown boys." I say relieved. Leila gets her siblings out of another room. Two were wearing diapers and nothing else. "Max get me some clothes please." I say. The mad sighs sadly and nods. "Who knows what these kids suffered through. "Am.... Am I free?" Leila asks, crying. I nod and hug her. They took down some names and I went home for the day. I hate abusive parents. They make me think of my father. God I still sometimes have nightmares.

Jason's pov

"I'm so worried about her doing this job. Wont it bring back bad memories?" Brittany asks. "That's the same thing I've been thinking about." I say. "Oh Jase I'm so worried about her." I hug her. "There's nothing we can do babe. She's a grown woman now." Just then my phone rings. Its Garrett. "Is Miranda over there? She never came home from work. She should have gotten off by now." He says as soon as I hit answer. "Shes not over here. Have you tried calling her?" "Yeah." I'm guessing no answer. "She's probably working late and forgot to call." I get off the phone. "I'm heading to her office to see if she's there." I drive to the welfare office. The lighrs were mostly off except for a few rooms. "Hello?" I call opening the door. Its silent as a tomb. I find her office and can't help but smile. She's fast asleep at her desk. I shake her awake and she screams, "You're under arrest!" I laugh. "Honey you fell asleep at your desk. Head on home and get some sleep." "Dad?" She mumbles groggily rubbing her eyes. It brings back fond memories of her as a little kid. "You silly silly girl." I say shaking my head. I call Garrett to put his mind at ease then I drive her home. She falls asleep in my truck. God I love my amazing daughter.