Chapter 40

Miranda's pov

I go to the house, armed. Thanks for teaching me to shoot dad. I knock hard on the door. A bald angry looking man stands there. "My name's Miranda Aldean and I'm with social services. I'm taking Jerome Whittaker into protective custody." I state, authoritatively. He laughs in my face. "Nice try little girl. Bigger MEN have come have come to try and take him and I've sent them packing." "Well I'm no man." I say, crossing my arms with a smirk. "Just try to scare me away." He smirks. "Ok I will." He grabs my hair and tries to drag me into the house but I put him in an arm crunch, his arm pinned to his back. Thanks again dad for the fighting techniques. "Now then, Jerome is coming with me and I'm not gonna hear a peep out of you." He glares at the floor enraged. I bend his arm harder. "Is that clear?" He nods, muttering swear words. I walk over to the injured terrified crying boy. "I've always had a thing for touch chicks. I laugh. "Never in a million years, not even if you were the last man on this planet." "Come on Jerome. I'm going to take you somewhere safe." I say, holding out a hand. "W-Who are you?" I crouch down beside him. "My name's Miranda." I say, putting a hand to my chest. "And I promise I won't let that man hurt you ever again!" He screams, pointing over my shoulder. I know it's his dense as fuck dad. I pull out my gun. "Take a step back, sir." I growl. He stumbles back completely caught off guard. The little boy stands up, clinging to me. I get him in my car and drive out of there. We get to the office. Max smiles and hugs me. "I knew you could do it." I smile and nod. "Why'd you help me?" Jerome whimpers. "I wasn't gonna sit by and let him hurt you." I say, holding his shaking hand. I take him to our doctor for an examination. He's physically healthy other than the beatings but like no broken bones or internal bleeding. Thank goodness. He starts to cry. "I'm scared. What's going to happen?" I hug him. "You'll be taken care of." I say. "I'm going to make sure of it." "Why?" "Because I've been where you've been before. I've been lost and scared and lonely. But someone saved me and now it's my turn to return the favor." "B-But what ab-about m-my dad? What if he tries to hurt me again?" "He won't get through me." I say.