Chapter 53

Jason's pov

I went back up to the social services building and found Max to see if there were any more kids that needed help. He was in a meeting so I was waiting and playing on my phone. We signed adoption papers for Jeremy. He cried again that day. Poor kid. I'm surprised he still has any tears to cry. He's been through so much. Then something pulls me out of my thoughts. The sound of a little girl crying her little heart out. She was sitting a few seats down from me, crying. I slowly sat up. "Hey you okay?" She squealed in surprise. "I th-thought... I didn't realize anyone came in." She looked back down, burying her head in her knees, crying harder. I sit beside her and hug her. "Why doesn't mommy want me anymore?!" She sobbed loudly and my heart broke. Max walked out looking furious as a woman dressed all fancy snootily walked out and exited quickly. The little girl in my arms stared at her as she left, a look of horrified defeat on her face. "I see you found our newest little one." Max says looking exhausted and ten times older. The little girl looked so broken. "This is Lily. We should... Talk about this another time." He says, rubbing his neck. Yeah we shouldn't talk about it in front of her. Kenny walked out. "Hey Lily I got a new room made up for you. There's a butterfly habitat if you want to come see it. "I love b-butterflies." She whimpers. I set her down and she takes Kenny's hand. Max walks back to his office and I follow. He looked pretty mad. "That bitch didn't not have the money to take care of her. She was just tired of being a mother. God I hate people like that. That poor girl is devastated. She was completely thrown out like garbage!" He rants furiously throwing everything off his desk. He put his head in his hands. "That poor kid." I whisper. "How is Jeremy?" I force a smile. "I uh.... A heck of a lot better. He's not as scared. Coming out of his shell more and more." "Lily's gonna need a family that won't abandon her." I stand up. "Max I will do the same thing I did with Miranda. Nobody is walking in my house without me knowing they can fully accept it and be responsible. She's gonna have alot of trust issues." He smiles. "I always can count on you Jason." I can't help but smile. "I'm gonna make sure Lily knows she's loved. And soon we'll find someone that can give her that." I say gladly. I text Brittany. We've got a new foster child.