Chapter 21

Miranda's pov

Me and Garret were talking and laying in a field, cloud watching. "So where do you live now?" I ask. "With my grandma. My dad is estranged. He leaves and comes back only to leave again. He's always been like that." I look over at him shocked. I can easily see the pain in his eyes as he says this. "Mir... Miranda do... Do you forgive me?" I nod and sit up. "It's okay to cry." I shakily say, hugging him. "You don't cry cause you're weak. Ya cry cause you've been strong for too long." I whisper against his chest. "Thanks for giving me a chance." He whispers. I smile and close my eyes. "I'd have regretted it if I didn't." I say. "It's getting late. I better get you home." I nod and we head home. Dad was standing on the porch with Chris. Dad had a shotgun. Uh oh. I held his hand. "Why do you have that?" I ask annoyed at his overprotectiveness. "Just got back from duck huntin'. What's up?" Oh. I thought he was trying to scare Garret or something. "Nothing." I say, looking over my shoulder at my pale boyfriend. I squeeze his hand. "See ya later." He smiles and nods. "See ya." I head inside.

Jason's pov

"Chris go inside." I whisper. My young son goes inside. "Garret, before ya go-" "I'm not the jerk you think I am!" He says. "What? That... That's not... What I'm talking about!" "Oh I thought you were trying to scare me with the stupid shotgun." I laugh softly and shake my head. "Boy, if I wanted to, I wouldn't even need to use a fuckin' gun. What I was gonna say is we're throwing a barbecue this weekend for Chris's birthday. If ya wanna come I mean." He's definitely caught off guard. "Sorry for getting so mad." "It's fine. Miranda told me about your mom. I can't and won't say I understand cause I don't but I will say I don't blame you for being upset back in middle school." He smiles. "Thanks." I nod. "I'll uh.. I'll be there too." He waves and leaves and I walk inside. "Be honest dad, were you trying to scare Garret?" I smile and shake my head. "Me and Chris went hunting. I promise. I wasn't tryin' to scare your boyfriend. I don't need a gun to do that." I say walking passed her.

Miranda's pov

Wow. That statement in itself is intimidating! I sigh and walk into the kitchen. "Hey Jason... Uh... I gotta tell ya something." Mom says as I sit down. Dad grabbed a beer. "What's up?" "Well.... I.... I'm pregnant." My jaw drops. Dad coughs on his beer and stares at her shocked. "Wh... What?" "I'm pregnant. I took three tests today. All came back positive." "Wow." He says. "Whoa so we're going to have a younger sibling?" "I guess so." Dad says smiling. "No wonder you haven't been feeling good.

*A few weeks later*

Mom and dad went to an appointment and took Chris with him. I invited Garret over and we watched a movie. Halfway in, Garret says, "My dad showed up at my grandma's house." I paused the movie. "And how do you feel about that?" I ask. "I dunno." He says, shrugging. "I really want my dad in my life. But it's... It's always iffy." "I think everyone has the power to change." I say. "Maybe I'll invite him to your dad's BBQ." I smile. "I'm glad you and dad are getting along." "Me too."

*Later*

When Dad gets home, I tell him all about Garret's estranged father. "Wat should I do?" He forces a smile and pats my shoulder. "There's nothing you can do honey." "I wanna help him, daddy. I love him." He sighs. "Baby girl, the only thing you can do is be there for him." I bow my head sadly. He hugs me. "Don't worry. If his deadbeat dad does screw up, he'll have us to fall back on." "Just like-" "Don't say his name." He says, quickly covering my mouth. I sigh.

*The BBQ*

Jason's pov

Garret and his dad shows up. Man that boy has been through hell. I hope this prick isn't gonna be an ass. I shrug it off and walk over. "Hey pleased to meet ya, my name's Jason." I say holding out a hand. He shakes it. "Louis." He says. "I got to say Garret is a really good kid. You sure know what you're doing." I say, hiding my smirk. He winces and looks away. "Yeah." He mumbles slowly and quietly. Asshole. Garret looks worried. I pat his back. "Come on kid. Help me at the grill." We walk over to the grill. "Whatever happens with him, just know, you'll always have a place to fall back on." "Thanks, Mr. Aldean. That means alot." "Just call me Jason." I say patting his shoulder. Chris jumps into the pool, splashing his sister and mama. Me and Garret laugh. I sure hope his dad doesn't screw him over.