Chapter 74

Jason's pov

We were getting Brandon settled into his new room. The whole family was here to celebrate. Jeremy and Memphis took Brandon to explore the woods. I know the boys have an old treehouse back there so they're probably hanging out in that. I hope they're getting along alright. I'm a little nervous with Jeremy being skittish and Brandon still being aggressive and standoffish. But I'm sure we can get him to come around. "Where's the life of the party?" Britt asks, walking over and hanging off my shoulder. "Yeah Jase, where's the star of the show?" Danny asks, sitting on the couch with his boys on top of him. I shrug. "Last I heard they were going to explore the woods." I think I'm going to go check on them. I wave to my friends and family and head off in search of my three boys. I follow the trail through the woods that leads to the treehouse. I was relieved to hear they weren't fighting but telling scary stories which of course made me laugh. I climb the stairs and scare the crap out of all of them. "Dad you suck!" Memphis gasps, breathing heavily. I can't stop laughing. "You boys are missing the party." "I uh I don't really like parties. Too many people." Brandon says, hiding in the shadows.  Hmm. "Well let's not think of it as a party more of a chance to meet your new extended family." "I... I'm good." He mutters. Poor kid. I hope he doesn't still think it's pity. I was about to say something when my phone rang so I slid down and answered it. "What's up?" "Um there's a guy that just showed up with Max who claims to be Jeremy's dad. And he... Wants him back." My whole body tenses. Nobody is taking my boy. I quickly walk back to the house, nervous and worried. Miranda and Max were waiting for me at the back door. "What's going on?" "I've clarified. He's his dad, that mother of his took him and moved across the country. He saw him on the news and instantly started looking for him. I clench my fists. "I don't care. He's my son now. I'm not gonna let him get taken away!" "Dad, the goal of the foster care system is reunification. To successfully reunite the child with the parent." Miranda says, looking super worried. And she should be. Because I'm not giving my son back. "He can't take him. I don't care if he saves puppies from burning buildings. He's not taking my son." "Well the good news for you is because he wasn't around when adoption forms were signed, he can't take him away but... He isn't a bad guy. You gotta think of it morally. Is it morally right to keep him from a father that loves him." I'm so mad. "I am his father. I love him. He's my son!" "Dad, just like all the other kids you fostered, they're still your kids. And I know you still love them to." Well the difference is he isn't a foster, he's adopted. "I can't just let them take him. I... I can't give him up.... What kind of impression will that put on Brandon.... And... I... I can't... Let him go. I just can't." Just then the door burst open and out walked the guy who I'm assuming is his birth father. "Where is he?? Where's Jeremy?!" He looked panicked. And desperate. Just like how I was when Dakota kidnapped Memphis. My heart hurt and I was scared. I didn't want to lose him. But they're right. He does clearly care about him. I nervously pull out my phone and call the boys home. "Everything is going to be okay." Max says. "You don't have to give him up." I'm still scared. Just then I hear the footsteps of my sons behind me. "What the heck??? Dad??!!" I hear Jeremy shout. I quickly turn around worried. I can tell he doesn't know what to do! "It's alright, Jeremy." I quickly say, about to walk over when the bastard started running. I quickly grabbed his shirt and he jolted to a stop. "What are you doing?!" He shouts angrily. "Stopping you from being an idiot!" I snap tossing him to the ground. "I've been looking for him for 6 years!! Nothing is going to keep me from my boy!" He growls, looking enraged. "He's gone through alot of trauma. You can't run at him like that." He glares heatedly at me but I don't care. "Who do you want to live with?! Me or him?!" He looked scared. I know Jeremy isn't comfortable enough to make a decision like that. "Stop it you fool. That isn't how we do things here." Max takes him back inside and instantly Jeremy runs over and throws his arms around my waist, crying his eyes out. I bent down and held him tight. "It's okay, Jeremy. You're okay." "I don't know what to do." He shakily whispers. "You don't have to do anything. He shouldn't have asked you that. I'm not going to let him take you away from me. And I won't make you have to choose." He was crying hysterically. The poor kid. "B-But dad... I... He-" "Jeremy you're my son. You always will be. He's... There's nothing wrong with having two dads who love you. If you want him in your life, we can set up visitation. You'll be able to see him when you want to but don't think for one second that you aren't my son. Because you are and I am not going to ever let you go." I hug him again as he starts crying. Then I felt my other two boys hug me. "Thanks dad." "Of course. I love you, Jeremy." "I love you too, dad." See the difference between me and the deadbeat. I would NEVER force a child to make that kind of a life altering and confusing decision.