Chapter 9

Miranda's pov

I got to school with Sabrina and Chris. My little brother went to his class and I helped Sabrina get to hers. "Thanks you." She says making me smile. "De Nada." I say hugging her. She's learning English quickly. I get to class and ten minutes in, a new boy I haven't ever met walked in. "S-Sorry I'm late." He mumbles. "Class this is Nick. He's new. Please make him feel welcome." He finds a seat and I focus on my work.

*After class*

I got to lunch and noticed someone bullying Nick! Calling him all kinds of names and shoving him! I rush over. "Get away from him!" I shout standing in the way. The boy doing the bullying, shoves me back. I hit my back on a table. Anger flares up in me. "I SAID BACK OFF!!" I yell punching him in the face. He stumbles back shocked. "Let's am-scray!" One of the bully's friends says. "Th-Thanks." He mumbles, looking at the ground. I turn around and help him up. "Don't thank me. I did what any decent person woulda done." He smiles. "Join me for lunch, Nick?" I ask. He nods and we find a table where he tells me about his obsession with star wars. "My dad loves star wars too. He even has Yoda socks." We both laugh. "I think me and him would get along." I nod in agreement. "Hey do ya wanna come over after school?" "Sure."

Jason's pov

The kids get home from school while I was target practicing with my hunting rifle. Buck Commander starts soon and I gotta get back in the saddle. "Hey Dad I hope it's okay I asked a friend of mine to come over and hang out." Miranda says from the back door. I nod. "Who is she?" "He. And his name is Nick." He? Ugh. I don't want my angel getting interested in boys! She walked over and I set down my gun. "He was being bullied so I invited him over. He really likes star wars. Just like you dad!" I smile. "Well maybe we can watch one of the movies tonight." "Thanks Dad." She runs inside before I can ask how Sabrina was doing at school. I shrug it off. "I'll find out when I go inside." I mumble aiming at the target on the fence post. I was about to fire when I heard the door open and close. I looked back to see a dark haired boy walk out. "You must be Nick." I say. He nods. "Nice to meet a fellow Jedi." He says smiling. I laugh. "Now what would happen if I turned out to be a sith?" "Blasphemy!" He shouts making me laugh again. "Anyone with Yoda socks is a Jedi!" "How'd you know I have Yoda socks?" I ask aiming at the target. "Miranda told me." "I heard you were getting bullied." He looks away. "Yeah. Cause I was new. But Miranda punched him in the face." "That's my girl." I whisper firing. "Damn still can't hit dead center." I mumble to myself. "Can you teach me to shoot?" He asks. "Um.. How do your parents feel about this stuff?" "Well they're both pro gun people, second amendment rights and stuff. I don't think they'd mind. They're just too busy." "Well I need confirmation first kid. I could get in alot of trouble." "What if I call them?" I shrug. "I guess so."

Miranda's pov

Nick and dad walk in a few minutes later. I was helping Sabrina with her homework. "Hey Dad where's mom?" "Not sure. She went out." He says shrugging. "Hey Miranda your dad's gonna teach me to shoot!" Nick says walking over excited. I smile. "Awesome! You'll be badass." I say. Dad gives me a sharp glare. "No swearin', kiddo." He says. "Sorry."

*A few days later*

Jason's pov

Nick came over for his first firearms lesson. Luke was with me with his boys since he wanted to teach them too. "I'd rather them be educated than blind as a bat." He says, loading his pistol. I load my rifle. The boys come out. "Ok kids, first thing to know is firearm safety and becoming familiar with said weapon. Luke shows how to load his pistol. I show them how to load a rifle and shotgun. "Never have your finger on the trigger until you intend to pull it. And never under any circumstances do you aim a gun at a person. Even if it's not loaded." "Ok one at a time, we'll show you how to hold and aim. Nick you're the oldest. We'll start with you." He walks over and I set him up with Luke's pistol first. Always start small.

*A few weeks later*

Miranda's pov

I get to lunch and see Nick being bullied again! He was glaring at them angrily. "I HATE YOU!!" He yells punching the bully. Instantly, he gets ganged up by three bullies! "GET OFF HIM!!" I screech running over. I try to pull them off but I'm not strong enough! Finally after 5 minutes, they get bored and leave. I bend down beside him. "Nick?" I whimper worriedly holding his hand. He wipes the blood from his busted nose and glares at the ceiling angrily. "People are such jerks." He says. I nod and hug him. "I hate them." "I do too." I say. "Why are you crying?" "Cause you're my friend Nick! I hate seeing you hurt."

*Later*

Jason's pov

I get home from the studio and Brittany walked over with her worried face on. "What's up?" I ask, taking my hat off. "Miranda's been in her room since she got home from school. The door's locked and she won't come out." Hm. I wonder what's up. "I'll talk to her." I say, walking upstairs. I knock on her door. "Hey hun, can I come in?" Something hits the door. What the? I unlock it using the key above the door. "Leave me alone." She says. I notice her jewelry box was what she threw at the door. She's super mad about something. "Honey what's got you upset?" "People won't leave Nick alone! Why do they hurt him?!" She shouts angrily. I walk over and sit beside her, noticing there's a bunch of torn up paper on her bed. Her hands were in tight fists. "People are just really mean honey. You can't let it bother you." "But they punched him and kicked him! He had a bloody nose!" My eyes go wide. "They got physical?" She nods. "Three guys." Poor kid. "What do I do?" "Don't let them get away with it. Tell the teacher and if that doesn't work go to the principal." "Ok. Thanks." I nod. "Now get this mess cleaned up and come downstairs. Your mama's worried." She sighs. "Sorry." I kiss the top of her head. "Love you." "I love you too dad."