Chapter 61

Miranda's pov

I was filling out some paperwork related to some cases when I heard loud hollering. I quickly walk out of my office to find an angry little girl. She was standing in front of a little boy. I've never seen someone so mad.... Besides maybe myself. She sure does remind me of me. Max was trying to get closer but she wouldn't let him. "Hey Max... What's going on?" I call. He freezes in surprise and glances back at me. "A little deja vu." He says, making me smile. "Siblings that don't want to be separated." I nervously walk back to my office and grab an old photo from when I was a kid. I walk back out to Max and the two kids. "Back off!" The fiery girl yells. The little boy was crying behind her. I sit down on the floor. "What's your name?" I ask. "Shut up! Don't talk to us!! I hate you!!" She yells. "It's alright. Nobody is gonna separate you two. I'll make sure of it." The girl looks suspicious just like I did. I was once that little girl. I scoot closer to her and show her the picture. Dad took it during one of my suspicious episodes where I didn't trust him. He said I'd want to remember what it used to be and Lord willing I'm glad for it now. "This was me and my little brother when I was in foster care." She stared at it shocked but then quickly looked angry. "I don't care! Leave us alone!" She backs up bumping into the wall beside her brother who was still crying. "I'm so sorry!" She cried hugging him. "I love you so much." I nervously stand up and glance at Max. "I know just who to call."

Jason's pov

"Hey Jeremy anything you want for your birthday next week?" He blushes, looking embarrassed. "Can I get a waffle maker? I'm really getting into cooking and I want to try this recipe I saw online." He says, surprising me. I keep my laughter in. "We'll get you a wafflemaker but it doesn't have to be a birthday present. Anything else you want?" He shrugs and smiles. "Mainly just I wanna try new recipes with mom." I was about to respond when my phone rang. "Yello?" "Hey dad you're about to be hit with some deja vu." Miranda says confusing me. "Huh?" "Well I've got two sweet kids here. Siblings. Sweet Annie won't let anyone near her or her brother." Wow. I can't help but smile. "Lemme get the room made up. Find out what they're interested in and text me the information." I can hear the smile in her voice as she says, "I love you dad. You're truly the best." I get off the phone and tell Brittany. "Oh we need to get a second bed put in there." She says smiling. "I'll get some paint and furniture as soon as Miranda sends the info."

Miranda's pov

After getting the duo situated with my wonderful parents, I head on home. Garret was playing parcheesi with Matilda. I sat beside them to watch. "I'll join next round." I say, picking up the red pieces. "I've been.... Wondering." She says, looking nervous. "What's wrong, sweetheart?" My loving husband asks. "I.... Why'd you adopt me? You already have three kids on the way.... I... I won't be the same as them... I... I'll just be extra baggage." My eyes go wide and me and Garret quickly hug the little girl. "That isn't true. You're our daughter now. And you're gonna be the best big sister to these three babies. We love you Matilda. I know that's hard to grasp right now. I've been in your situation. I've felt unloved before but trust me when I say that you are and will always be our daughter. These new babies aren't going to change that." She was full blown crying by now. "Blood may make folks related but I have family that ain't blood and blood that ain't family." I say, squeezing Garret's hand and thinking of my ex father. "My dad took a chance on the trouble case and adopted me and my brother. Now we have a whole new family with lots of cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents. You name it, we got it. And you're apart of that family, Matilda. I promise." "I'm sorry!" She cried jumping in my arms. "Hey you don't have to be sorry. I understand." I say hugging her. "I love you, Matilda." "I l-love y-you too....... M-Mom."