Chapter 22

Miranda's pov

Garret's truck pulls into the drive. I walk out as he jumps out excited. "What's up?" "Well me and my dad are going on a trip to catch up. He says he's really gonna stay and be my dad!" I'm suspicious. "What if he doesn't?" "This is the first time he's ever said he would. This time, it's different! I can feel it!" I hug him, worried. "I hope it's true." We go inside. "Mom and Dad are at an appointment and Chris is at a karate class." I say, sitting on the couch. He sits on the couch beside me and catches me off guard by kissing me. "I'm so happy." He whispers. I smile. "Me too, Garret." "I've got the most amazing girl ever." We were in a deep make out session, his hand up my shirt when my parents came home!! Embarrassed doesn't even begin to describe it! "What the heck?" "Um.... Nothing." I mumble embarrassed, grabbing his hand. We go to my room and he laughed quietly then kissed me again. "Hey Garret come down here a minute!" Dad calls making me blush. "oh damn." He whispers.

Jason's pov

Hell they probably think I'm mad at him. I wasn't a virgin in high school. It doesn't bother me as long as he's responsible and uses protection. "What's up?" He asks nervously. "Me and the guys are setting up a poker game. Wanna come?" "Yeah. Sure." He says confused. "I thought you would be mad." "I'll only be mad if ya don't use protection kid." He turns red then we drive to Luke's house.

*A few hours in*

"So what's new with you guys?" Eric asks. "Eh not much on my part. Finished up the new album, just waiting for the release date." I say. Everyone is looking at Garret now. I've sorta taken the kid under my wing. "Well my dad and I are going on a trip next week. Since it's been a while since we've seen each other." Poor kid. "That's great!" My only fear is that asshat is gonna leave him in the dust again.

*One week later*

Miranda's pov

Garret was set to leave with his dad. He was packing up. I'm excited for him but I'm still worried.

Jason's pov

Louis gets here to pick Garret up. "I can't make the trip." He says, not surprising me in the least. "Some stuff came up that I've got to take care of." I glare at him annoyed. "If you walk out of his life again, don't you ever come back." Brittany says, angrily walking out of the room. I cross my arms annoyed. I knew something like this was gonna happen. "Sit down." "I don't have time for a lecture." "I said sit down!" "Ya know, Garret was doing just fine til you showed up." I shut the door. "And now that you're back, you've got responsibilities to him!" "Aw man, we're still gonna take the trip!" "Bullshit! He ain't supposed to be here for you! You're supposed to be here for him!" "You think I want this! It just happened! When he was a baby I was scared-" "Oh cut the crap! A real man would step up and be there for his kid! His mother died and you were nowhere to be found! You are a disgrace!" He stands up annoyed. "Fine. Say whatever you want to say about me. I don't care. Now are you going to tell Garret or not?" I glare at him. "I'm not gonna do your dirty work for ya." He sighs. "Fine. I'll... I'll call him from my car." "Yeah ya do that." I say barely able to contain my rage. He turns to leave when Garret walks downstairs. "Dad!" He calls, setting his bag on a chair. "Ready to go?" The pathetic excuse for a man tenses up. "Um.. Uh son, I.... We're gonna have to postpone the trip. Some things came up..."

Garret's pov

Why am I so hurt? I should have seen this coming. "I... I... Yeah okay." I mumble, trying not to show how upset I am. "We're still gonna go. Just not for a few months." Liar. "I'll call ya in a week and we'll iron out the details." He won't call me. He won't come back. "Yeah. Okay." I say anyway. "It was good seeing you son." I cross my arms and back up. "Yeah you too. Louis." He sighs and walks out.

Jason's pov

"I'm sorry, man." I say worried. "Actually this works out fine. I don't wanna leave Miranda anyway." He lies, looking close to tears. "Garret it's okay to be angry." "Angry? Why would I be angry? I mean at least he said goodbye this time!" "I... If there's anything we can do..." "Hey who needs him? I didn't need him to hit my first home run but I did it." He shoves his bag to the floor. "I went on my first date without him! I learned how to shave without him. How to drive, how to fight! I don't need him! I had 17 great birthdays without him!!TO HELL WITH HIM!!" He yells at the open doorway. "Ya know what, I didn't need him then, I don't need him now." He starts to walk to the kitchen. "Garret, I.." "Hey I don't need him. I'm gonna graduate high school and college without him. I'm gonna settle down with my girl! I don't need him there! We're gonna have some awesome kids! And there ain't nothin' that guy can teach me about how to love my kids!! I'll be a better father than he'll ever be!!" He does start to cry so I hug the poor confused teenager. "Why don't he want me?" He whimpers crying. I wish I knew what to say. "He doesn't deserve you Garret." Miranda runs downstairs, worried. "Garret.." She whispers. He sees her and hugs her too. "You don't need him. You've got family right here. I love you Garret and I'll never run out on you." "I l-love you too." I wish there was something more I could do. I know if I ever see that scumbag, I'll make sure he never gets to Garret again. That's not a threat. It's a promise.