Chapter 46

Miranda's pov

"No!!! Don't touch me!!! Mom's so mad!!" I set down a tray of food. "Your mom was bad. What she was doing to you was wrong! You have to eat." I say, kneeling beside him. "No. I can't. She'll hit me again! I know she will. I'm not allowed to eat!" I hug him and he shoves me back. "Your mother can't hurt you anymore. Just like my dad who hurt me can't hurt me anymore." The door opens and I see my younger brother. "Memphis?" Jeremy asks confused. "She's telling the truth, Jeremy! You can trust us." He says walking over. "B-But mom will be so mad. She'll hit me again." "No she won't. We won't let her." "We?" He asks. I smile, hearing my dad say, "Yes we." I look back at the door and see my family. Gosh I love them. "You promise?" I nod and pass him the sandwich.

*a few hours later*

I overhead the psychiatrist talking about Jeremy to the caretakers. "He's very malnourished and untrusting.  It'll be hard to get him to eat." I sigh and head home, exhausted.

Jason's pov

I walk into Memphis's room and he was tossing a baseball in the air, looking deep in thought. "You okay, bud?" He nods. "I'm glad Miranda could help Jeremy." "He's still got a long way to go. But with help and support, he'll be okay." "I love you dad." I hug him. "Love you too, son. Now it's time for bed. You've got school tomorrow." I start to head to the door when he says, "Dad," "Yeah?" "I think.... I don't think Jeremy was ever told I love you." I bite my lip and turn around. The poor kid. He's probably right. "We'll show him love, kiddo." He smiles and tosses the ball to me. I catch it easily. "Drat! I still can't pitch well with my left hand!" I laugh. "Goodnight, Memphis." "Night dad."