Chapter 71

Jason's pov

So we were going to go camping but the other boys decided to make fun of Brandon for wanting to go. He almost decided not to go but thankfully I was able to convince him. "Since your friends changed their minds, mind if I get a few of mine?" I ask as we drive to Walmart to get supplies. He glares out the window and doesn't respond. I call Luke and tell him to bring the boys. We're gonna have a good time. While I was getting a few of the camping essentials, I get a call. "Yello the asphalt cowboy speaking?" "Grandpa! I need help! Daddy's at work and mama fainted! I'm so scared!" I heard Matilda cry panicked. I could hear one of the babies crying! My stomach dropped. "I'm on my way." I get off the phone, worried. "We've gotta go. My granddaughter called and said my daughter fainted!" "So does this mean no camping?" Ugh. "Maybe. It depends on what happened. Matilda is only 8 and the babies are barely over a year old." "Babies?" He says, confused as we book it back to my truck. "Triplets." I say, nervous beyond means. I drive over there as fast as I can. "Miranda!" I cry, running in. Matilda was crying beside her while holding a crying Parker. I quickly hit my knees beside her. "What happened?" "I dunno! She was walking to the couch but then she just fainted!" I call an ambulance and try to wake her up. She groggily comes to confused. "Dad? What's going on?" She mumbles confused. I hug her tight. "You passed out. How are ya feeling?" "My head is swimming." She mumbles. The EMT rushed in. "Daddy! The babies!" "I got 'em hun. Don't worry." I hand her her phone. Call me as soon as you find out." They take her away, my stomach twisted in knots with worry. I call Garret and tell him what happened. "She's alright. They took her to the hospital and I'll tell you as soon as I find out. I got the kids." I hear someone shout his name. "Crud. My boss. I gotta go." Poor guy. I call Britt and tell her what's up. Brandon looks annoyed and sits on the couch. I get the babies in their high chairs and make hot dogs for them. "Well it wasn't what I had in mind but how about pitching the tent in the backyard? We can tell scary stories. I can build a little fire in the pit." I toss him the bag of marshmallows. He rolls his eyes, glaring at me. "Whatever." He mutters. I wish I knew what to do. Then my phone rings. "Baby, are you okay?" "I... I well I have diabetes apparently. I don't know how this happened! I had super low blood sugar and crashed. They told me everything about diabetes and I'm picking up my insulin as soon as you're able to come get me." Man. Diabetes. That's a lifelong issue. My poor little girl. I load the kids up. We get her and her meds. She glanced back at Brandon. "He's not too happy." She whispers. He's listening to music through headphones. "He's one of those kids who thinks we're using him." I say, worried. "I'm taking him camping. A little one on one time." "Need any help?" I force a smile. "I can handle it." I hope. She smiles. "You're one of a kind,  dad." I'm so glad to have an amazing daughter like her. "So what's the plan with the diabetes?" She looks away, that twinge of fear in her eyes. The same fear she had all those years ago. Been a long time since I've seen that. "I don't know. I'm... Pretty scared." I hold her hand and stop at the pharmacy. "We'll get through this together honey. You know that." She smiles and hugs me. "You're the best." "You can thank yourself for that honey. You and Chris made me who I am today." We were waiting for her prescription when I noticed Brandon sneak a bottle of soda in his jacket pocket. Darn it. I walk over and pull it out. "All ya gotta do is ask. I don't mind buying a soda for you." "Shut it old man. Don't need ta do me any fuckin' favors." He gripes, shoving me. He takes off running. Crap. I glance back at my family. "We'll be fine dad. That boy needs you!" I nod and run after him. I saw him on the ground along with Sabrina? Looks like they ran into each other. "I'm sorry. Are you alright?" The 18 year old asks. Brandon just glares at her and stands up then stomps away. "Hey dad, havin' trouble with this one." "Ha ha. Not funny young lady." She laughs. "I joke. I joke!" I wave and walk after him. He kicks a rock and punches a tree. "I don't need your fucking help!! Just leave me the fuck alone!!" He yells, shaking with rage. "Yes you do and there's nothing wrong with needing help! Why are you so angry at me?" He glares at me and before I even can react, he punched me in the face. I fall back in surprise and trip over a tree root. "What the crap?" "Do not follow me!" He gripes, continuing to stomp away, swinging a stick through the air in anger. Damn. I rub my sore jaw and stand back up. He swings the stick at a tree. "They're a bunch a liars. They don't care about us. They just want to look good." Man. How do I convince him otherwise. The only thing I care about is helping these poor kids. Maybe I did get in over my head but... It's too late to turn back now. The only one who loses if I give up is Brandon and all the other kids back at the youth home. Suddenly I heard him scream. "Crap!" I shout, taking off running. I find him in a clearing and see him surrounded by three wolves. He was terrified. Crud. I don't have my gun on me either. "Don't move!" I gasp. He was shaking from fear. "I'm scared." He whimpered, holding that stick super tight, his hands shaking. "Ya know the thing about bravery? It isn't doing something without fear. It's doing something even though you're afraid." I say, inching my way closer, the wolves were growling. What do I do?! I gotta think. "Just stay calm, son it'll be okay." "No it won't! I'm gonna die! I should die!! It was my fault! They're dead cause a me!!!" He yells, shaking with rage, fear, and the tears running down his face. "No it isn't. No matter what happened, nobody deserves to die! We're going to get through this together. I promise!!" "Fuck don't say that!! Don't you lie to me too! Like every fucking body else. I'm sick of people lying! And making promises they won't keep!! I'm sick of it!!" He yells, swinging at one of the wolves who tries to bite the stick. I force the fear out of my mind and run to the young terrified teenager. "What do we do now?" I look up above. "Ya see that tree?" He nods, scared out of his wits. Poor kid. "Climb on my shoulders and get into the tree. But move slowly. Any sudden moves and they may attack." "B-But what about you?" "It'll be alright, Brandon. I won't let you down." He looked shocked but reluctantly got into the tree. "Stay in there and call the police." I say, throwing my phone up to him. "B-But...." Alright now the 8 years of baseball as a teen may come in handy. "You hungry ya rotten bastards, well come and get me!" I yelp, taking off running with them hot on my heels. I hear Brandon call me, terrified. As long as they're on me, they aren't on him. That's all that matters.