Chapter 15

*a couple years later*

(Miranda is sixteen and Chris is eight)

Miranda's pov

I was at my locker, putting my binder inside. It's been two years since Nick was sentenced to life in prison. My dad fought for his freedom but it was no use. I miss him. I'm afraid to go visit him. I'm afraid to see what prison has done to him. I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around and see a boy I don't know. "Hey." He says waving. He leans against my locker, acting all cool like. I cross my arms. "And who might you be?" I ask. "You don't remember me?" I shake my head. "I moved away after middle school but came back." I shrug. "Still don't know who you are." I say getting annoyed. He looks me up and down. "Ok remember middle school, your dad came in and scared the crap out of me for messing with you." My eyes go wide. Garret. Anger flares up in me. "What do you want?" I gripe through clenched teeth. "Oh nothing. I just... Came to say hi." He says walking over. I back up, leaning into the lockers. "You've certainly grown into your looks." I glare at him. "Not interested." I say, throwing his hand off the side of the lockers beside me. I stomp off.

*A few hours later*

I get out of school and dad was waiting on the porch. He looked worried. "What's wrong?" I ask, letting my backpack fall off my shoulder. "You... Uh you've got a visitor." Why is he so scared. "Ok?" "It's not good." He whispers. Huh? We go inside and my heart almost stops. Sitting on the couch with a nine millimeter is Nick in a sleeveless prison jumpsuit. He had scars on have shoulders and tattoos on his arms. The gun was pointed at mom and Chris. "N-Nick?" I shakily gasp. He smiles and nods standing up. "Why do you have a gun? And why were you pointing it at my family!?" "I had to talk to you!" He walks over and I step back shaken. "I haven't seen you in two years!" He says. I'm not sure what to do. "Why are you here?" "I broke out of prison. I couldn't take it anymore." "I have to call the police." Dad says pulling out his phone. Nick shoots it out of his hand, making me, mom, and Chris scream. Chris starts crying. "Daddy!" I cry rushing over. He gripped his hand which had a burn mark on it. "You need to leave!" I shout angrily feeling tears prick at my eyes. There's a knock at the door, making everyone look at it surprised. "Who's that?" He asks. "I don't know." I shakily say. "You. Answer the door." He says pointing the gun at dad. He stares at him angrily, still gripping his injured hand. He goes to the door anyway. I'm so scared. "I missed you so much." Nick says walking over to me. I'm not sure what to do. "Why didn't you visit me?" I shrug. "Get away from her!!" Chris shouts terrified. He glares at him. "Don't touch my brother!"

Jason's pov

"Now's not a good time." I say, through the door, keeping my eyes on the situation. My shotgun is leaning against the door to the living room. "Please I have to talk to Miranda. "You and alot of other folks." I say annoyed. After a few minutes I hear his footsteps fade away. I dive for the shotgun but he puts his gun at my daughter. "2 years in prison gave me a way better aim." He says, worrying me. The back door is kicked in and some teenage boy stood in the doorway. "Who the hell?" Nick gapes spinning around. I shoot him in the head before he can do anything. "Garrett oh my God! You saved us!" Miranda gasps, shocked. "What the heck just happened?!" He gapes. "An escaped convict." I say picking up my phone and calling the cops.