Chapter 67

Jason's pov

I was back helping Max with all the paperwork. We have a court hearing to hopefully take Lucas,  the little boy at Target, out of his horrible mother's care. Turns out his dad, Todd, has been fighting for custody and that'll help get us a solid win. "Hey man, ya seem a bit distracted." "Just thinking I guess." I say,  setting down a pen and leaning back in my chair. "I just.... If Miranda didn't need wipes,  Lucas... Would probably be dead right now." His eyes went wide and he said, "You can't think like that." "I can't help it. I can't stop thinking about it. What if there are other kids... We don't know about.... That'll end up dying. How do we help them all?" "We have to rely on concerned neighbors reporting it." He says,  patting my shoulder. Max was filing all the paperwork while I was printing out forms for the kids to fill out about themselves. What they want to do in life. Since I have connections, I can hopefully help them with what they want to do in life. "These kids won't even know what hit them." Max says, smiling. We walk out to the cafeteria. Everyone was getting food. It looked like a high school almost which I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. There was different groups. Kids who were clearly friends or had more in common and then the kids that were alone. Well hopefully we can change this for the better. Max gets me a mic. "Attention,  everyone. Once you're done eating, we have a survey we need you to fill out. It won't take long and after that anyone who's interested, I'm putting on a concert out back by the volleyball court." It's pretty quiet which is new for me. I'm so used to people cheering. But these kids have been through hell. One kid walks over looking pissed. "So CPS has given up on adopting us out huh? What's next  slave labor? I assume we'll have to earn our keep. Nothing is free in this bullshit world." Uh oh. "Yo we ain't workin' for anyone!" Another kid shouts. "W-Wait guys it's not like that at all. The survey is just to get a better understanding of everyone. What ya wanna be when you grow up." "We are grown up!" The first kid shouts. "No you're not. Look you haven't been able to be a kid, to feel like a kid. Well here you can. You don't have to worry about the stress of school or looking for your next meal or where to sleep. I know things have been rough for you and I'm not going to say I understand because well I don't. But I do know I've seen enough heartbreak and fear when my adopted daughter was growing up. She didn't trust me in the beginning but now 20 years later, she's doing great, got a job, a husband and three beautiful babies. She'll never have to worry about not having someone because I'll always be here for her. And I'll always be here for you guys. Whatever ya need, just come talk to me. I'm here for you." Most of them looked angry. A few laughed. I don't think they believe me. "Empty promises!" A kid shouts. "You're a liar!!" Another yells. Max did say I'd have to be patient. With the things these kids have been through,  they aren't going to trust me. "All I'm asking for is a chance. A chance to prove to you,  that I'm not going to screw you over. We are going to help you. I won't give up." I hand Max the mic and walk out. There's nothing else I can say or do. It's up to them now.