Chapter 23

Jason's pov

I get a letter from Danny. I rip it open instantly, dropping all the other mail. I quickly run inside. "Britt, kids. We gotta letter from Danny!" Chris jumps off the couch and Miranda runs downstairs. Britt was standing beside the door. "It says he's on his last week of patrol duty and should be home before the week is up!" Relief fills me as my family cheers. I can't wait for my little brother to come home. I sit on the couch, adrenaline rushing through me. Britt sits beside me and I hug her tight. "He's comin' home. I can't wait to tell him the good news." "Me too, Jase. I'm relieved he's okay." I smile. I go to retrieve the rest of the mail. Nothing too important.  Bills and junk.

*Half a week later*

I get a text from Danny's phone that he's getting off the plane. I get the family loaded up and drive to the airport. We were waiting at the baggage claim for him when I got another text.

D: Just to prepare you, I'm a little shorter than when I left. 

Huh? Shorter.

J: What do ya mean bro?

D: You'll see.

I'm worried now. I set a hand on my son's shoulder. A few minutes later, my jaw hits the floor when my little brother rolls out of the terminal gate in a wheelchair.