Chapter 30

Miranda's pov

I hear dad's phone ring while I was reading in bed. It's really late. I should not be up but I couldn't sleep. "Oh hey Steven, what's up?" Who's Steven? "Yeah I'm free to talk. Everything okay... You sound... Upset." I hear a shocked gasp. I stand up confused. "Oh man. Oh jeez." I walk to the door and peek out. "I... Yeah... Th-Thanks for callin'. I... I'll tell.... Tell 'em." He mumbles wide eyed. "Ok talk to ya later." He gets off the phone. I'm worried. What happened? "That... Poor kid." "Dad?" I whisper. E looks up wide eyed. "How... How long were you standing there?" "The whole time. What... What happened?" "I.... Charles... He... He killed himself." My whole body tenses in shock. "No!" I cry, covering my mouth horrified. "Don't Tell Chris yet." He says hugging me. "I can't believe..." I let my voice trail off. "Some folks can't take the horrors." He says looking sad. "How's uncle Danny doing?" I ask, that statement making me think of his military service. "He's alright. Just dealing with physical therapy. It's gonna take a lot of work. But doc says he should be able to walk by the time the baby comes. Come on honey. It's late. Let's head to bed." I reluctantly do that, thinking of all the times, I wanted to die, during our years as orphans. But I couldn't. I had to be strong for Chris. He needed me. I bite my lip, thankful I was able to tough it out long enough.

*The next day*

Mom looked like she'd been crying. Dad probably told her the news. Chris looked confused when we walked in to kitchen so I know he doesn't know yet. "Why's mom upset?" He asks, getting a bowl of cereal for breakfast. Dad sighs. "Well.... Chris, I.... I got a call last night.... And well... Charles...." "GOT ADOPTED." I blurt out loudly. Both my parents stare at me confused. "Yeah... And uh mom was looking forward to fostering him. But he's okay... He... He's happy now." I shakily say. "Oh." He says looking at me oddly. I hope he doesn't suspect I'm lying. He eats his cereal then goes downstairs you the basement. "You shouldn't lie to him like that." "Why should we tell him? He'll just be upset for no reason. Ignorance is bliss they say." I say nervously sitting down. "Not no reason. A kid is dead, Miranda. We were going to go to his funeral!" I bite my lip. "I... I didn't know... But either way... Chris doesn't have to know. I could stay here with him and Memphis." "We're all going, Memphis included." Mom says, standing up. "I don't want to go. And neither would he. We hate funerals." "Death is a part of life, honey. You can't-" "When you see your mother put in the ground after begging for her to live in a hospital bed for months, then you can tell me how you feel. Ok I spent my whole life protecting my brother. And I'm not going to stop now!" I didn't expect to get so mad. I felt tears running down my face. "I'm..... I'm sorry!" I gasp, running out the back door. My heart was pounding really fast. I could picture it like it was yesterday. The loud beeping. All the doctors and nurses wandering around.

~flashback~

"Mama, wake up. We need you." I whimper holding her hand. I cried in that room for hours.

~flashback over~

The steady beeping fills my head and I scream. I don't even know why but I do! I stumble to my knees, unable to breathe. "MOMMY!!!!!!! COME BACK!!!!!" I feel like I'm being smothered. Darkness cutting off all sunlight. "Miranda honey come back to me! Snap out of it!" "I want my mama." I whimper sobbing. I realize why the sun was blocked out. Daddy's arms were around me. I couldn't stop crying and freaking out. I just wanted mom. I wanted her to wake up. To hug me and call me Coco again.

~flashback~

I was three and had gotten into the cocoa powder. I made a mess all over the floor and wouldn't stop saying cocoa, my mother told me. Ever since, it became a nickname between me and her.

~flashback over~

I burst into another round of sobs against my father's chest. "Honey,  you've got to calm down and breathe. You're hyperventilating!" "Miranda?!" I hear my worried brother shout my name. I instantly freaked out and tried to get up. "Chris... Where..." I was so light-headed. "Where is he?! He needs me!! Don't you see!??!" I black out.

Jason's pov

*A few hours later*

"What on Earth happened today, Jason?" Brittany terrifiedly asks, after having been pacing for twenty minutes. "That, honey, was a full fledged panic attack. I've never seen one that bad before." "How would you know what a panic attack looks like?" "Danny had 'em all the time as kids. He was really nervous alot." "Is she gonna be okay?" I nod, worried. "She's just got to calm down." "And what about going to Charles's funeral?" "The kids aren't going. Not after her freak out." "I think I'm staying home with them. I'm really worried about Miranda." I am too. I nervously go down to her room. After she passed out, she'd been asleep. Poor Chris camped out on the floor of her bedroom, worried. I pick the youngster up and put him in his own bed. I walk back to Miranda's room and cover her with a blanket. Poor kid.