Chapter 44

Miranda's pov

Leila and her younger sisters Tammy and Maria and her younger brother Harry went to live with their father after a custody battle. The relieved man hugs me. "Thank you. I've been trying to get custody for a year and a half." Leila hugs her father. "I love you daddy." "I love you too." I head home. Garret was smiling and waiting for me when I got home. "Missed you." He says hugging me. "Love you." I reply. "So how was Leila? Did her dad get custody?" I nod. "I'm so relieved. She was so happy when the judge declared the verdict." We walk into the kitchen and my family shouts surprise. I'm totally caught off guard. "Aw guys! You shouldn't have!" I gasp, tearing up, happily hugging my mother. "Missed you guys." "Happy birthday!" Memphis gasps hugging me. "I thought we were going to wait til this weekend. When I was off." I say, sitting at the island. "Well we were going to but.... We didn't want to wait that long to see you." Dad says. "So how's work?" Mom asks. "Great. I just love my job. It's the most rewarding job ever."

Jason's pov

That's very relieving. I've been so worried about her with this job. "I just seeing the look on Leila's face when she was free of her mother.... Filled me with so much joy." Wow. I love how passionate she is about work. "Well we didn't come here to talk about work. Let's eat cake!" Chris shouts, standing on the barstool he was sitting in. I laugh and swing Memphis onto my back. "Yes. Let's." I say gladly.