Chapter 51

Miranda's pov

I was walking back to my car when I saw someone run passed shouting. "STOP!" "What's going on?!" I gape. The guy keeps running. "THAT PRICK KIDNAPPED MY DAUGHTER! SOMEONE STOP HIM!" Holy shit. I jump in my car and speed passed til I see a different guy dragging a terrified little girl. I angrily hit my brakes and jump out, running in front of them. The guy skids and trips. The girl pulls free and stumbles to her butt. She's maybe five. "Hands in the air!" I yell, pointing my gun at him. The girl was crying hysterically. Her dad caught up and picked her up. "YOU'RE UNDER ARREST!" I yell pissed. Nobody is gonna hurt a little kid in front of me. I handcuff him and he shouts police brutality! I roll my eyes. "I ain't a police officer anyway idiot I'm a social worker who carries this shit with me for times like these!" I growl twisting his arms. "Sir call the police. I have him restrained." The father is shaking with rage but he shakily dials 911. The scumbag tries to pull free but that isn't happening. The police take him to the station and I walk over to the frightened pair. "Hey you okay sweetie?" She was buried in her dad's shirt. "Thank you." He whimpers, hugging her tight. I smile. "I'm so glad I was able to stop him. I'm Miranda by the way. "Jacob and this is Natalie. Say hi sweetheart. It's okay. She helped me get you back." The shy little girl looks at me and waves slightly. "Is she gonna be alright?" A bystander asked worried. Poor Jacob looked really worried. "I'll make sure she is." I say, smiling. "How's about we get her home now." I say guiding them to my car. He tells me an address and I drive to it. I was confused. "It's... A car lot." I gape turning to him. He kept his stare on the floor. "Thanks again for saving my daughter." He quickly gets out and gets her out. "Jacob stop." I say, getting out too. "You can't keep living in your car. This is something I'd be reporting and having a case for." He looks so scared. "Please!! You can't take her! She's all I have left!" He begs, starting to cry. "You can't live in your car especially with a five year old. Do you have a job?" "I... I did... B-But the b-building burned down. I... It was unsalvageable. I've b-been trying to find another job but it's been impossible." Gosh. "I have an idea." I say, walking over and hugging him. "You can stay at my house while you find a job." "N-No way I can't do that!" "It's either that or your little girl goes into the foster care system and believe me. You don't want that to happen." I say sternly. He holds her tighter. "I won't let anyone take her!" "Jacob let go of your pride and think about what's best for Natalie." He breaks down crying. "God I love you Nat." Man I feel so bad for this man. "Come on Jacob. Let's get you some place warm."